Chapter 1

Chapter 1.

Detective Grey POV.

Dammit! I hated starting my shift with a call out. A suicide no less. Though, they are usually an open/shut case, no-one wants to start the day staring at a dead body.

I would have much rather a coffee and a bacon sandwich, but looks like that isn't happening today.

I pulled up in my silver BMW 760li sedan and slammed the door closed after I had clambered out. I made my way up the front path of a two storey brick house, lifting the police tape and ducking under as I went. The front door was wide open now, but the first on the scene said that it had been closed, and there was no sign of any forced entry or a struggle.

,

Duh! I had thought to myself when I had heard this. What did they expect, it was a suicide? For him to try and fight himself, or leave the door open, so someone might see and try to stop it?

I made my way into the building, but I didn't have to travel far as the location of the suicide was the coat closet behind the opened front door. I pulled on some forensic gloves and closed the front door gently. I pulled open the door of the coat closet, the stench of death invaded my nostrils immediately, causing me to let out a slight gag. I don't care how often you deal with death, the stench it creates is never any easier to handle. I called out to the photographer to come take some shots of the body before we could take it down. Pulling my notebook from my top shirt pocket, I began to make notes on what I could see, at least this was a straight forward suicide and should be closed up in a day or so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a few hours at the home of the deceased, I returned to the station. I needed to get some of my paperwork done so we could wrap up the case quickly and release the body to the family. They had raised the alarm when Ben, the victim, failed to come to their traditional Sunday lunch at the family home. They had first contacted his friends, but no-one had seen him since he left a bar on the Friday night, so they called us. With 24 hours having passed since he had been heard from we decided to send a patrol cop to check out his home, which is obviously, where he had been found.

I was glad this wasn't an investigation as it meant I could give my notes to our secretary to type up for the report. This made my job a lot easier and gave me time to check out the photo's for anything that didn't match up, not that I was expecting to find anything but protocol is protocol.

I paged Pypa, the secretary and asked her to come and collect my notes and type them for me. A few moments later she strolled into my office, her black heels click-clacking across the cream coloured floor tiles.

"Good afternoon Detective, rough day?"

"Not too bad although it could have been better. We had a suicide today, and I would really appreciate it if you could type up this report as quickly as possible, so we can release the body to the family."

"No worries, I'll get right on it when I finish the report I'm currently working on. Poor family. Was he young?"

"22, such a waste of a life," I shook my head sadly. Pypa murmured in agreement before holding out her lilac painted finers for the notes. I handed them to her and watched as she swung around, her shoulder length, strawberry blonde hair waving gently around her ears as she left my office.

I ran my hands over my face, dealing with upset loved ones always wore me out emotionally, and I was starting to feel it. I grabbed the phone from my desk and called home. Lilla, my beautiful wife, always could make me feel better with just the sound of her voice.

"Hello."

"Hello Beautiful. How's your day going?" I questioned, already feeling my tensed muscles relaxing and my fatigue fading at the sound of her voice.

"It's ok. How about yours? I assume not great if your calling home," she was a smart one, this woman.

"Just a suicide to clean up after, nothing too drastic but still a loss of life that needn't have occurred."

"Oh that poor family, maybe I should make them something." I could just imagine her, chewing on her soft pink, bottom lip as she rolled her eyes to the ceiling, thinking of what she could do to help the family, currently suffering the loss of a loved one. She was an extremely thoughtful and caring lady my Lilla.

"If you like dear, the details will be released in tomorrow's paper. You can call around after then and see what you can do," I could vaguely hear my daughters voice calling in the background and felt a smile lighten my face at the sound of her tinkling two year old voice.

"I have to go Archie, Cameron needs to go potty, and I don't want her to have an accident, it always disheartens her when she does. I'll see you when you get home." Lilla blew a kiss into the phone before hanging up.

I was glad I had decided to call home, those two girls of mine could always brighten the darkest of my days.

I grabbed my jacket from the back of my chair and slid my arms into the sleeves. I grabbed my car keys and headed out the door deciding to do a coffee run for the officers/detectives and office staff at the station. Starting out a shift with a call out always made the day drag on, and I knew everyone could do with a decent caffeine hit, to keep going until the change over in 5 hours.

###################################################################################

Opinions, please. I know it's not particularly exciting or particularly long, but these filler/descriptive chapters have to be done to build the story. I'll try to upload again soon.