Chapter 5- Into Battle We Go

Unedited and I only own Violet, her speech and any plot changes.

Colonel Flag swiftly shook off his shock at the brunette's argument and quickly began shouting orders before rounding up the remaining inmates and escorting them in the same direction Violet had wandered off. All the while trying to sort out his jumbled thoughts that were now in more turmoil than before.

The Colonel barely paid attention to what happened around him until he was safely aboard the helicopter with the inmates of Taskforce X. The moment he stepped on the aircraft though, his eyes immediately sought out the brunette killer that had unknowingly consumed the soldier's thoughts.

He watched as she turned around from staring out the window to talk to El Diablo. Rick paid extra attention to the way Violet unconsciously clutched at the chain around her neck every time she spoke. He frowned at how her attitude seemed to have taken a complete turnaround from just mere moments ago, when she was hostile and angry. Now she was calm and having an actual conversation. He had to look twice when he heard a tinkering laugh and witnessed a small smile cross the female metahuman's lips. The Colonel's stomach twisted uncomfortably at the sight, confusing the man as to why. However, despite his jumbled emotions, Rick couldn't help but overhear the rest of the two criminals' conversation.

"You're looking at me like I'm a ticking time bomb" The brunette teased

"Aren't you?" Diablo was hesitant to talk to the woman who seems to be too much of a loose cannon.

"Aren't we all" She smirks, tapping the side of her neck.

The Mexican gangbanger chuckled, which was a foreign concept to imagine let alone witness for those within the aircraft.

Violet playful pushed the other metahuman before asking on of the questions that was niggling away at her "So... how'd you end up here?"

Diablo automatically stiffened and became closed off again. "Death" He responded curtly.

She nodded in understanding, knowing exactly what the gangbanger meant "Hm, the way I see it, we're at two different ends of the spectrum. Where you turned to self-loathing and blamed yourself. I turned to anger and blamed everyone else" The brunette shrugged and offered a small pain filled smile, letting him know that she knew exactly how he felt.

"You can't change or help the way you're born"

"Maybe you should try telling yourself that, once in a while" She gave him a pointed look that made the tattooed metahuman look away

Diablo scoffed, his self-hatred burning bright at the moment "I'm cursed"

"Join the club."

"Yours wasn't a gift from the devil"

"Nope. But mine is hereditary" She grinned and knocked her shoulder against his. At the fire wielder's furrowed brow, the female killer elaborated "It's all about the genes. There's two types, naturally. You've either got the dormant or the dominant but it's kinda like playing Russian Roulette. You won't know what gene you've got until it's too late."

"Then why hasn't anyone known about your family's powers before?"

Judging from the way the surrounding soldiers suddenly perked up and inched closer to the chatty two; it was obvious that Diablo wasn't the only one interested in Violet's answer

"Firstly, it's only passed down to the females in my family, and secondly, because the last time anyone actually had the dominant gene was about 2,000 years ago, lucky me huh?"