Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

"This is frustrating." She ran her hands through her hair and laid her head atop the table.

"Come on fire, you're acting like a doused flame." He couldn't help but laugh. She felt a piece of potato land in her hair.

Kenji looked away.

All she could do was retort with a groan as she lifted her head to stare daggers into him. She tilted and rested her head on her arms. 16 days of trekking the woods with nothing but the dead animal on their plate to show for it. They were no better than when they started.

They traveled miles on both horseback and on foot, remembering the paths her father steered her though during hunts. The forest acted as a second home. She was used to the sounds of the wild. It was almost a soft lull to her. The way the leaves rustled when moved or the sound a snap of a twig made. It was all so familiar.

Her father's main focus was to stop any threats to the kingdom. It was a large job with grey lines all around. They acted as both protectors and assassins. The two sometimes skewed into the same path. Soon the responsibility would be hers.

Traveling was a crucial part of this job. Eli had made sure she was equipped with the fundamentals of surviving in the wild. She was a quick study and an excellent student. He had once said she was born with the grace of a huntress, that it was in her blood.

Though, these days, her father had very little to say. He ignored her completely. For a man who made it his business to nestle himself into conflict, he did a great job of steering clear of his own personal ones.

As days passed, he was rarely home. Eli had a habit of always telling her where he was going to be. Whether it be by messenger or himself. Now, it seemed he avoided her at all costs. He must know he wouldn't be able to hide forever. Not from her.

Kenji devoured the rabbit piece by piece until all that remained were scraps and a few pieces of lentils. No matter the circumstances, she could count on him having an empty stomach. If eating were a skill, he would be the crowned victor. He seemed unhindered by the weight of stress. It made her almost envious.

She didn't want to interrupt the first full meal they've had, but the long day made her tongue loose.

"I'm not sure how much longer I can do this."

The spoon fell from his grasp, landing on his plate, making the smaller pieces of vegetables jump off it. His mouth remained wide-open, disbelief crossing his features. His brows furrowed, lips twitching.

"How could you ask that?" He kept his voice low.

She sighed and tore her gaze from him. "It's been more than two weeks and we've come home with nothing." She poked at the rabbit. "We don't even know where to look. We're running blind out there."

That's not the only problem.

Her chest flares were growing in strength and frequency. Each more painful than the last. She hid them well, but there was only so much one could bear. They were no longer sudden, and most times she could feel them coming, but it wasn't enough to ignore the pain completely.

He shook his head. "We'll find this dragon, I promise you."

He reached across the table and laid his hand over hers. He meant to calm her, but the dull ache in her chest only intensified her uneasiness.

A few weeks ago she woke Kenji at the crack of dawn and packed a few supplies. Determination fueled her and hope pushed them forward. It seemed like a steady plan at the time and he followed her blindly through the woods without pause. Without question.