Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

The shrouding darkness enveloped her surroundings. Her hands skimmed her body. Everything seemed intact.

'Leiv, look at me.'

She jumped, as a male's deep voice whispered through her mind. A creature emerged from the shadows. It towered over Leiv, forcing her to take a step back. His violet eyes glowed through the darkness, making it hard to miss. The creature didn't need to fully step out of the shadows for Leiv to know what it was. Everyone knew what they were.

The word tumbled out of her mouth in a whisper. "Dragon."

Her father once said these creatures and their riders roamed the very lands they lived on, a common peace standing between dragonkind and humans. The truce held for centuries. Until the war broke out.

The dragon inched closer, until the base of his neck was mere inches from her face. It bowed its head to her, closing its eyes. Despite the cold darkness, its presence warmed her, a silhouette illuminating in the pitch-blackness. It released currents of hot air from its nostrils, exhaling with such force it whipped her hair back. She dropped her gaze, forcing herself to stay still and keep her feet planted.

'Look at me, Leiv. You must.'

The urgency in his voice forced her eyes away from the floor. She stared up into the depths of piercing lavender. The moment their eyes met, recognition gripped her like a strong current.

You know me. It took a step closer, heating the air with its breaths. You do, your heart knows who I am.

Leiv shook her head, trying and failing to block the dragon's whispers echoing inside her mind. "Please leave me be," she whispered, her voice trembling.

''Listen to your spirit.'

As it advanced another step, try as she might she was unable to step back. Her body was frozen.

'You can feel what I am to you,' he said, closing the space between them. His skin touched her, tingles creeping all over her body.

Though blanketed in darkness, she felt the dragon's face heat as it dipped its head low, next to her.

'Place your hand on me.'

As if drawn by an invisible force, Leiv's hand lifted and placed itself right at the center of the dragon's crown. Shock rolled through her, as she shivered from the tremor, images flashing through her mind in a flurry. A wall, vines, and a path she vaguely recognized. It all past quickly, as the dragon once again came into view, piercing the shadows with its undeterred stare. Waiting for her.

"Who are you?" she asked, hoping the tremble wasn't noticeable in her tone. She mustered the courage to slide her hand down the side of its head. The beast closed its eyes, reveling in her caress, exhaling gusts of warm air that shifted around her.

'I am you and you are I. We have always been one.' It wasn't just urgency she heard. It was fear. 'You must find me quickly. Your body will not last much longer if you choose to live in ignorance and deny who you truly are. The lives of dragons and humans alike rests on your shoulders.'

Leiv pulled her hand back. A confused expression washing over her face.

'Leiv, do you understand? The dragon rose to its full height, stepping away from her.

"No... I don't. You have to help me under—"

The dragon cut her off with a sigh, the hot air hissing around the space between them. 'I am your anima, and you are mine."

"I don't know what those words even mean!" She was tiring this game.

Leiv...

Leiv...

"Leiv...!"

She was jerked awake by her father and his look of panic. Leiv shifted on the bed and groaned. Her head  pounded with pain as she laid a hand over it. Eli loomed over her, relief pouring out of him.

"Thank the fates you're awake." He grabbed her by the shoulders, and held onto her, fearful he might lose her again.

"I'm alright father, I'm alright." She clutched his arms, giving him a tight squeeze to assure him.

'You know me.'

Her brows furrowed, trying to shake the voice echoing in her mind. She felt fine physically, though after her dream, she wasn't sure what that meant anymore.

Eli held her hand. "You scared me to death... I felt so helpless. I didn't know what to do."

"What happened?"

"You fainted and I ran all the way back to town to seek the physician."

"And what did he say happened to me?"

His expression went dark. "He says you may have pushed yourself too hard during training."

"But you don't believe that, do you?"

"No, I don't," shaking his head. "We've always worked this hard during our sessions."

Leiv paused. "Father... I may an idea as to what happened," she said quietly, conflicted. Should I tell him?

"You do?"

"After I fainted, I had the strangest dream."

"Dream? What kind of dream would cause this fainting?"

"Well, Lord Therian told me once during our lessons that dreams are also our way of interpreting reality." She hesitated, her fingers shifting. "That in some cases, we could be seeing our future as well as our past."

Eli raised an eyebrow, incredulously. "And you believe the council mage is correct?" Eli was never a fan of the mage, but never openly showed it. He knew how to pick his battles.

"I do. He's never led me astray before," Leiv insisted. "But first... I must ask you a question."

"Ask me," he responded, moving closer.

"Tell me all you know about the dragons."