Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

The cobblestone streets felt different under each crunch of her boots. Rays of sunshine had just risen over Orakrest as the Actors Inn slowly emerged from afar. Before any light even had a chance to emerge, Leiv had headed home and changed into a hunting outfit the seamstress had gifted her for increase in business to the shop.

Coldness of the morning air stung her cheeks, chilling every inch of exposed skin. Earlier she dawned on a cloak that now flowed delicately through the wind; the hood covering the new dark strands of hair. Casting her eyes down, Leiv cautiously looked away from any prying gaze that may have tried to look into their lavender depths.

Opening the inn’s front entrance she quickly was engulfed into the warmness of the building; the quiet buzz of people walking around the top floor was a reminder they were still fully booked. It was likely the actors were preparing for the day’s festivities. The hearth looked to have been freshly stocked with logs as it crackled and blazed with intensity, but no one occupied the main room to enjoy it.

Catching her attention sounds of chopping came from the outer grounds of the inn. Opening the back door Leiv saw Kenji dressed in his familiar outfit: boots so worn from the years of constant use, vest worn over his white shirt that had the same small hole he refused to let his mother sew. Kenji had once said that it added to his ‘rough nature’. It was funny then, and it was surely funny now.

Though some things felt different, after all the months she had been gone, Kenji still remained the same. A smile always seemed to appear on her face every time she saw him.

Busy chopping wood for the fireplace, he was oblivious to her presence. Leiv continued to watch silently as he placed every log onto a block and swung an axe down. Kenji’s muscles coiled under the weight; swinging down his arms to chop the wood made the outfit tighten at the shoulders.

Leiv admitted she had missed him; it had been far too long since they last spoke. Through the years when a horrible hunt occurred, somehow she managed to find a way into his arms. There was nothing romantic about their long silent hugs, just continuous reassurance. Thinking of an emotional relationship never happened until this moment, her cheeks flushing at the idea. Kenji was a best friend, ruining what they had with any confusing thoughts wasn’t an option.

After a few minutes of watching him, she made her presence known. “You might want to take a break, it looks like you’re over exerting yourself,” she said.

Catching him by surprise he immediately took a step back and held the axe above his head. Kenji tightened his grip on the weapon taking a defensive stance. “Who are you?” He said. “Show yourself.”

Leiv stepped closer, but the sudden movement had him take a step back. She was puzzled; Kenji was always welcoming, even to strangers. The way his eyes stared at her with weariness and a mix of fear caused her to freeze. What had the past few days done to make him so different?

“Put the axe down Kenji,” she said.

He gripped the weapon even tighter. “How do you know my name?” His voice quivered slightly.

Holding her hands she showed there was nothing in her hands. “I know a lot of things about you,” she said, “but right now I need you to put that axe down.”

Refusing, he raised it even higher, taking a step forward. Leiv tried to take the hood off so she could reveal herself, but Kenji took it a sign of aggression. The murderous look was clear in his eyes; the once mild-tempered boy everyone knew was lost and replaced with a different person.

Though only a few inches taller, within a few steps he had appeared next to her, swinging the axe. Leiv was unprepared and stunned, barely missing by accidentally tripping and falling back as the blade swung down. Never in her life had she thought fighting Kenji was a possibility: his optimistic demeanor always contradicted her own strong-willed character.