Chapter 23

Chapter 23

 Copyright © Gem Higa 2011

The question of 'how did they possibly acquire such a beast' stuck to her mind as Leiv immediately backed away from the enraged creature. Nostalgia hit her like a boulder; Rin had become such a stable part of her life that missing him felt almost unbearable.

Without thinking, one of the men behind her took action as he sprinted to the animal and stabbed it in the foot with a sword. It would be the worst idea he would ever make. The dragon reached the same height as Rin and nearly identical build. It swiftly turned and used its tail as its own personal sword, which probably weighed as much as 10 horses combined. The barbarian attempted to retreat, but the creature swung his tail and sent the poor man clear across the arena.

Leiv was too stunned to move. The others shuffled around her, trying to find the biggest weapons they could, holding on to them for dear life. About half the crowd had fallen back and sat a little higher on the stands, whilst trying to dangerously peer at the fight but continuing to keep their distance.

The men returned, each carrying a weapon in their hand while some gripped two for good measure. Tristan on the other hand merely held his bow at the ready, gripping it to the point every nerve bulged from the intense pressure he placed upon it. He turned his hand to look at her, his eyes screaming things his mouth weren't. The young barb was more confused than he was frightened. Most of the emotions circulating through the rest of the men were the same. They feared little, but the massive creature was an entirely different matter and what seemed to scare them more was the possibility of not being able to return home to their families.

Taking a step forward, Leiv held her arms outward to show the creature there was nothing hidden in her palms. The dragon eyed her as it made a weird growling noise at the base of its throat. There were scorch marks throughout its body, some worse as the scales darkened significantly in certain parts. Serrated blade marks were clearly visible across its body, some overlaying others. Every turn or fidget of its body would cause the wounds to open, exposing the flesh between the edges. Dried blood caked several puncture wounds along its legs. Even its foot seemed a bit in pain as it trembled slightly under its massive weight. Decaying teeth filled the creatures mouth; most were blunt but still contained an enormous amount of lethal force.

How could such a magnificent creature be forced to degrade itself for the crowd's entertainment? Eyes the size of her palms were filled with grief. There was a sad tone that darkened and scratched at her very soul. Tears moistened and escaped their ducts, falling in smooth streams down her cheeks until her vision had blurred completely.

Pain, anguish and sorrow. Emotions that the animal felt somehow manifested themselves into her. Feelings so strong, it practically echoed through her very soul. It felt like the tie between queen and dragon felt so strong and binding. The tether between them grew, until finally they stood unmoving for the whole arena to watch with anticipation.

The tormented dragon held its sight leveled with Leiv. Steam escaped the nostrils, fogging the sides of its face. In comparison to Rin, the creature mirrored several similar features. Its hide's thickness and lower body structure was almost identical to her own dragon, but the differences were not easy to miss. Instead of Rin's glistening hide, the dragon's was a dull ashy slate. Shades of gray splotched themselves across its body; at times seeming like had been sloppily painted on. Four horns protruded the very top of its head, fanning out sideways.

"Milady," Reynard said calmly, "do not get close to the creature. That is what Jeo would want you to do."

She slowly turned her head to face him. "Trust me." Leiv held a hand up. "Stay where you are, and lower all weapons."