Chapter 20: I Thought I Knew You

**So just as a general warning, the next few chapters are going to be a pretty heavy in terms of language (at least I feel like there is more cursing than usual).  That being said just keep in mind for the remainder of the book things will get slightly more intense so if you're uncomfortable with subjects like that as well as possible sexual situations and alcohol use please read with caution.  If you decide to keep reading...enjoy the chapter!**

Ashton's POV

I woke up the next day, stretching my arms out expecting to feel Roxie next to me when I noticed the bed was empty. The spot where she usually lays wasn't even warm, so I knew she must have been out of bed for awhile. 

I climbed out of bed, walking into the bathroom to brush my teeth. After I finished, I headed down the hall to her bedroom since the rest of the house was silent. I poked my head inside, seeing she was laying in bed wrapped underneath all of her covers like a giant cocoon. I tip toed over to the side of her bed, but she was fast asleep , snoring softly.  She looked adorable as she hugged her pillow, her breathing heavy as a few strands of hair fell slightly across her face.  I debated waking her up before I decided against that idea.  I walked quietly out of the room, making sure to avoid the one floor board that was annoyingly creaky and headed towards the kitchen.  As much as I wanted Roxie to be awake, she was too peaceful to disturb and I had a feeling that she had trouble sleeping again.

Despite not wanting to ruin my surreal happiness due to the fact that my beautifully perfect girlfriend agreed to buy an insanely gorgeous house with me, I knew that I had to talk to Evan and I couldn't prolong it anymore. After feeding Indie and turning the coffee pot on, I grabbed my phone from the charger, scrolling through my contacts only to see I didn't have Evan's number anymore. Roxie's phone was right next to mine so I unlocked it using her pass code to scroll through and find his number. Once I transferred his number to my phone I put her phone back in the charger and sent him a text. I had to be extremely careful in what I texted because whatever was in writing he could potential use against Roxie, and I wasn't about to become her downfall.

Ashton: Hey it's Ashton. I wanna talk to you about something. Can we meet up?

He replied almost instantly.

Evan: Subject matter?

I was already starting to get irritated and it wasn't even 10 am yet. It was a yes or no question not a "let's answer Ashton's question with a question".

Ashton: It's not something I want to discuss over text.  Can you meet today or not?

Evan: Can it wait til tomorrow? You can just come by my office.

Ashton: No it can't. Your house in a half hour?

Evan: Fine. Don't be late.

Don't be late?  Does he know me?  I'm forever running late.

I tossed my phone on the side, heading back down the hallway to throw on whatever shirt and jeans I found laying around. My hair was a mess and I didn't have time to shower so I tied a bandanna around my head and slipped on my boots before walking back into the kitchen to grab my phone and keys before quietly heading outside.  

The ride to Evan's house brought up so many repressed memories as I drove through the familiar side streets. It made me think of what life was like when we were genuine friends growing up. More than twice a week I would go to his house to play video games, do homework, and have dinner with his family.  His family treated me like I was a second son, automatically making a place setting for me at the dinner table every Tuesday and Friday.  I was always so jealous of all of Evan's new toys and electronics that his family constantly spoiled him with but nevertheless whenever the night was over, I never wanted to leave.  When we got older, he would always have gatherings with all of our friends whenever his parents weren't home.  We would sneak their alcohol, take late night dips in his pool, and listen to music loud enough where it could be heard outside.  His house was always a general meeting place if we were going out to another party, concerts, or just if I needed a place to escape to.