Chapter 5: Promise Is A Strong Word

"So how was your date last night missy?" Michael said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.  

I slapped his shoulder, "Don't call me missy.  My date was lovely, thank you for asking.  I appreciate you coming to get Luke."  I handed him a cup of hot chocolate that I made for him this morning and he immediately stood up to grab it from me.

"Is this what I think it is?  Oh fuck yes it is!  You even remembered the marshmallows."  He opened the lid and poured them in and slowly began to drink it, despite how hot it was.   Michael claimed I made the world's best hot chocolate and he was willing to fight whoever thought otherwise. 

"Alright Clifford, how did the data collection go?" I asked as I started shuffling through the reports on my desk.

He shook his head, "Not telling you unless you tell me how your date was." He continued to slurp his hot chocolate as he eyed me over the rim of the cup, waiting for me to tell him more details.

I rolled my eyes, "I said it was lovely.  What else do you want to hear?"

"Details!  I called Ashton this morning and he wouldn't tell me anything."

I laughed, "That's because it's classified information."  I was really just playing with Michael's mind at this point.  

"You little shits.  I expected more from you Roxie.  I thought we were buds." he whined as he chewed on the rim of his cup.  He opened his eyes wide and began to pout.  I was such a sucker for the puppy dog face, which was ironic considering I did it to Ashton all the time.

Michael's newly died blue hair paired with his pouty cheeks with his bottom lip stuck out like a two year old made me cave after a few moments of internal contemplation.

"We went out to dinner and then walked on the beach and then headed home.  There are you happy now?" I groaned.

He leaned back in the  chair, "That's it?  That was a shit description.  Did you guys make out at least?  Ashton's a pansy I know he wouldn't do anything more."

Michael was worst than a high school girl, "Yes we did, now can we please stop talking about this!"  I walked over to the door to head down the hall, "Now stop being such a little shit yourself and get to work."

I turned around and bumped into someone.  My breath hitched when I was met with a cold hard stare.

Evan.

"Mrs. Winslet, is this how you speak to all your employees?" he questioned, peaking into my office at Michael who was crushing his cups so hard in his fist it might as well be dust by now as he glared at our visitor.

I cleared my throat, "No not at all, what I can I do for you today Mr. Sinclair?"  

"My company is starting a new research grant program in order to make ourselves seem more diverse and appealing to people willing to invest in our company.  In addition to being very profitable, we want to also show that we can do good with our wealth in the community.  We are visiting various companies to see who deserves the grant by observing the work done throughout the day.  We wouldn't want to give our money away to just any research company." he explained.

I nodded, "Very well.  If you excuse me, my intern and I must begin our day."

"Oh and Mrs. Winslet.  Your boss informed me that the research grant will only be awarded to one project.  Based on our decision that grant will also determine who moves up into the head researcher position that opened up in your company.  Your boss believed it was only fair to give the best of the best the rewards.  He has no tolerance for less than perfect work, especially since your competitors just published a very valuable scientific paper.  Since he had trouble deciding who should take the position, this grant was the best way for him to make his choice in the fairest way possible."