Chapter 9: Dealing With Demons

"Roxie are you ready to go?" Ashton yelled from the living room.

I was just finishing getting ready, (and slightly panicking) before heading over to Harry's welcome home party. After hours of deciding, I settled on a pastel floral halter dress with a pair of dressy sandals. I left my hair down and curled it before tousling it lightly to loosen the curls a bit, giving me the perfect beachy waves.

"You look...pretty?" Ashton said as he leaning against the door frame, eyeing me up and down when I walked out of my bedroom. He cleaned up quite nicely. He was freshly showered, leaving his curls damp while wearing black skinny jeans, a dark grey button down shirt and dress shoes, with the first few buttons open on his shirt exposing a few of his chest tattoos. He even kept his piercings out for the occasion.

"Was that a question or a compliment?" I teased. "You look great but there's no surprise there."

"I was a compliment for sure. I'm used to you either dressing for work, dressing comfortable for around here, or super sexy for when we go out just the two of us. This is a nice in between, it's cute." He explained as he winked at me, still leaning against the door frame with his arms across his chest as he chewed a piece of gum.

I laughed, "Well I didn't want to meet your mom formally for the first time in a dress that was on the risque side. I tried to go for an innocent look."

He shook his head, "It's not possible for you to be innocent anymore. I kind of kill that vibe when I stand next to you." 

 It was true though. Due to our differences in styles and personalities whenever we went out we always looked like polar opposites. Ashton radiated confidence and stood out with his tattoos and cut off shirts while I tended to try to blend in as much as possible with my quite demeanor and simple style of clothing. It always looked like something from the movies where the goodie two shoes girl dates the bad ass bad boy.

"No necklace today?" Ashton said, cracking his gum as he gestured to my bare neck while I applied my lip gloss.

"Um I didn't think you wanted me to. It's um..it's pretty hard to miss when I wear it." I said. Due to the size of the diamond on the ring which hung next to the guitar pick charm, it was definitely hard to keep it discrete. Normally I wear it every day no exceptions but I didn't know how he would feel about me wearing it in front of his mom.  I knew they were close and talked often, but I wasn't sure what he had told her about our relationship.  

He walked into my bedroom and grabbed it off the side table before coming back and standing in back of me to clasp it around my neck. He smelt like mint and citrus aftershave and it was a wonderful combination. "I have no shame in you wearing it in front of anyone, ever. I just wish the ring was around your finger rather than around your neck, but hey I'll take what I can get." He teased, kissing my neck gently, causing his damp curls to tickle me.

I giggled, "With the way things are going I feel like it will be on my finger sooner than later. Although you still have to be the one to initiate that shift when we're both ready."

He kissed my cheek, "Yes of course, we have to be somewhat traditional remember? Are you ready to go?"

I shook my head in agreement, yet I was nervous as hell.

The drive to his family's house was a little over an hour. Ashton drove with the windows down, letting the summer air surround us like a warm blanket while his CDs played on a low volume in the background.  We talked and fooled around and he never once let my hand go as it rested on the console. Half way through the drive my phone buzzed from inside my purse.

Michael: I don't think I can do this. I'm too nervous.

Roxie: Just relax, you'll be fine. She's super easy to please and she likes you already so you have nothing to worry about.