Chapter 18: A New Perspective

Ashton's POV

Since Roxie had mentioned that Harrison was in the photography business, I decided to take him to a photography museum. I also just so happened to know the owner.  When he saw us walk in, he came over to chat with us, giving Harrison and I a special tour to see some of the old exhibits that we no longer on display as well as the current ones. Like Roxie, Harrison was incredibly intelligent when it came to talking about his field of work. He talked to the owner about cameras, lenses, filters and other subjects that were out of my range of knowledge but nevertheless, I still enjoyed learning a thing or two. What was even better though, was seeing the similarities between Roxie and her brother. His blue gray eyes were similar to hers and as he spoke about film and lighting, I saw the same glimmer of excitement that would shine in Roxie's eyes as she enthused about cells and blood analysis.

After we had finished with our museum trip I suggested we grab a quick drink at one of my favorite bars before heading back to meet Roxie and Arianna. I was slightly nervous to have one on one time with Harrison, but I knew it was important to Roxie that we bonded. Usually most people had to make a positive impression on your significant other's parents in order for the relationship to be successful, but for Roxie her brother was the one whose opinion mattered most.

We walked into the bar and were waited to be seated when Harrison said, "So Roxie mentioned awhile back that you use to be friends with Evan huh?"

"Unfortunately" I scoffed, then catching the rude tone in my voice, "I mean...yeah...we used to be close childhood friends actually but now we are not on the best terms as you can imagine."

He laughed at how easily my tone changed, "You don't have to watch what you say, you're entitled to your opinion. If it makes you feel any better I was never that fond of him anyway."

"Wait so you really didn't like him?" I questioned.

Just as he was about to answer, the hostess came over and brought us to our table. We sat down and Harrison took a quick look at the alcohol list, while I already had my drink of choice in mind. The waitress came over, greeted us and took our orders. Harrison leaned back in the booth once she walked away, "To continue our conversation because I'm sure you're curious, no I didn't like Evan."

"Really..." I said, trying to hide the smirk that was forming by biting my lip, "Roxie said you didn't like him but I thought she was just trying to make me feel better."

He laughed, "Naturally I always have my doubts because she's my little sister and I don't want her getting hurt but the more family functions and events Roxie and my family invited him to made me realize how much I genuinely disliked him."

"Can I ask why?" I asked, twisting my rings around my fingers.

"Well as you probably already know like our family, Evan's family is also old money. While you are very humble about your earnings because you made a name for yourself on your own, Evan was basically handed everything, literally everything...which is kind of like me and my sister but we both earned our jobs on our own and made a name for ourselves that way. Evan's father got him a job with no questions asked. It irritated me because my sister was more independent then him, when he was going to be the man of their household. I get gender roles at this day and age don't matter too much anymore but I just couldn't imagine him taking care of her if she actually needed it."

I completely understood where he was coming from. Growing up Evan didn't have responsibilities besides school and spending money. Even if he flunked school his dad would have still made a job for him at his company. He also was an only child so he didn't understand the concept of taking care of others like I did having two younger siblings. Life was handed to him on a silver platter.