3. Groundhog day

I never really understood what someone was talking about when they'd tell me it was the little things in life that mattered. It seemed stupid to me, why would someone get so excited over something so small and unimportant?

That was before I knew what it felt like to have a secret friendship with Camila Cabello.

The little things became colossal.

Side glances in class, hands brushing in the hallway, coy smiles during lunch, inspirational notes in my locker, Facebook messages during study hall, even the winks before choir rehearsal had me thrilled to be alive. It gave me a reason to get out of bed in the morning before my alarm would even sound.

But the text messages...the text messages were the best.

The vibrations would nearly send me into a cardiac arrest. You weren't supposed to use your cell phone during school hours so something about the way Camila would break the rules had me assisting in any way possible.

I normally couldn't get halfway through Spanish before the temptation to talk to Camila was too strong not to ignore. I'd find the most trivial of reasons to text her.

Dinah just asked Mr. Cowell how his son was doing... sometimes I wonder about her

I'll trade places with you, Normani is giving a presentation on the Broadway curse just to spite me

What's the broadway curse?

There is no such thing!

"Lauren, put the phone away...who can tell me the past tense form of this word?"

I paid attention for about three minutes before the vibration distracted me once again.

Can you have some words with Normani when you get a chance?

I've had multiple words with her, what is she doing now?

Besides ruining my life?

You're so dramatic, but I'll talk to her for you

I appreciate it

Sometimes I felt as if Camila was just as desperate to talk to me as I was to her, it didn't even matter what we pointlessly conversed about, as long as we were in contact with each other. As each class ended, we'd have a new set of topics to talk about.

Do you think it's going to snow this weekend?

I glanced to my left and tilted my head so I could see the sky though the windows I was sitting next to.

It didn't look like it was going to snow, but then again the weekend was 3 days away so anything could happen. I had no idea why she was even asking me about the weather, I was the one that tended to ask her about the weather.

Don't you study the weather before you go to bed?

I do. I'm just worried the meteorologists are lying to me

Of course she'd assume that. Camila Cabello tended to believe the entire world revolved around her. It was endearing in an innocent kind of way.

Why would they lie to you?

Why wouldn't they!

I chuckled softly to myself and I felt Normani's eyes glare at me from her seat next to me. She hated when I'd be on my phone because I think she felt out of the loop and she wasn't used to feeling that way.

Just when I think you can't get any more dramatic

You love my dramatics, they make you smile

It was true. I did love her dramatics and they certainly made me smile. It was because most of the time she was entirely serious.