Fight First, Think Second

Apparently being sixteen isn't old enough to get out of school, even with an alien invasion, because the next day I woke up to a pile of clothes at the end of my bed and a note saying, 'school starts at 10 in the cabin near old pharmacy.'

I had a quick shower and put on a plain black long-sleeved top and some dark blue jeans. Hopefully no one would shout at me for taking my two hand guns but I believe in safety first. Grabbing my rucksack and walking out of the door, I tried to remember what school used to be like. I can think of one word, hell. Luckily I wasn't the old geek I used to be, maybe I'll actually have some friends.

Walking into a cabin, about 7 people my age stared up at me. They were all sitting in separate desks and reading a book. Taking a breath I turned to see an old fragile woman sitting at the desk. She was the only one that didn't see me walk in so I strolled over to her desk and made a coughing sound.

She looked up, startled, "Ah, you must be Lauren Melbourne?" She rose from her chair and walked over to a small cabinet to pick up a book and handed it to me. "We going to do History today." Her voice croaked, "I'm Ms Peters."

She seemed notice my belt that had two guns on either side of it. I nodded and took the book. "To make us feel better about what's happening now, right?" I scoffed.

Ms Peters looked stunned, obviously nobody questioned why we were learning at a time like this. "Miss Melbourne please take a seat at the back." she turned away and returned to marking books.

I didn't mean to be rude, but I didn't see the point in learning when we could be killing those monsters out there. My butt was just hovering over the chair when I heard guns firing. My chair feel backward because I stood up so fast. I took my gun out of my belt and rushed out of the cabin.

"Hey!" I screamed as I guarded myself against a car, "what's going on?" I was hard to hear over the gun shooting but the man standing next to me seemed to hear.

It was the man I saw when getting out of the car the other day, I couldn't help but be slightly attracted to him. "Look!" he nodded ahead of him and I stood so that I could see what was happening.

There were two Mechs and about 6 skitters. "I thought this place was safe!" I took a few shots at the skitters with my gun then the man handed me bigger one. Thank god.

"This hasn't happened before." He replied, I left him as he seemed like he was trying to concentrate and I really didn't feel like getting shot.

I ran across the boarder of Charleston and tried to find Ben, Hal or Tom. I bumped into Hal, who was on his own shooting at a Mech and set my gun up next to him. "How are you doing that? Whenever I shot at them the blurts just bounced off!" I questioned.

He nodded over to the man I was just with, "Pope found a way."

Looking at him now, I realised why Tegan ever had a crush on him. He was hot. I nodded and started shooting.

"So what's going on between you and my brother?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

The Mech we were shooting at fell and everyone cheered at us. I giggled and looked back at Hal, "Nothing...really. I don't know what I was doing."

"He has a girlfriend, Lauren." Hal said, kindly telling me to back off. "They aren't together yet but they will

be."

"Right, yeah." Everything seemed to go extremely slowly from then because one of the Mech fired one of the rocket things at me and Hal.

The jeep we were standing behind took most of the damage but we flew back and I saw Hal's back hit against a wall and he passed out. I however, landed inside a house. I crashed through the window and landed on my ass. "Ah!" I moaned. There was a massive hole in the wall where the jeep crashed through straight after me and I saw Hal. He was sat up against the outside of he house and his head was sagging down.

I steadily got to my feet and realised I had glass stuck in my leg and my head was bleeding slightly. That wouldn't stop me. Fight first, Think second.

I stumbled the makeshift gate and carried on toward the Mech. Everyone was still shooting at it and a few people helped Hal. I heard someone shooting my name, telling me to get back but I didn't listen. These monsters couldn't come to our planet, invade out homes, kill our people and get away with it.

The Mech was distracted so I get pretty close before it turned around. One of my arms seemed to be broken or something so I swung at my side while I held the other one up with the gun in my hand. The robot alien lifted it arm at the same time and it's lasers pointed right at my head. Just before it could shoot, I pulled the trigger over and over again until there was no ammo left and it fell.

Feeling a smug smile cross my face, I turned to face the rest of the survivors. I was about to take a step forward but before my foot hit the ground I collapsed. I saw Ben and Pope run toward me with a few others before I passed out.

SORRY THIS IS A SMALL CHAPTER. IT WILL BE A LONGER ONE NEXT. PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR A NEW CHARACTER MESSAGE ME AND I CAN ADD THEM TO MY STORY. THANKS.