The Mason's

Time began to go really slowly and I realised the Mech hadn't killed me yet, which isn't like them. This is weird. I heard a few gun shots then I felt myself get pulled in the opposite direction. My dark brown eyes flung open and I was staring face to face with someone very familiar.

My mouth fell open and my eyes were wide. "Ben." I barely managed to say, "you're alive." a few tears filled my eyes but I held them back.

Ben Mason was in my year at school, we were very close friends. Hal, Ben's older brother, joked and said it was because we were both Geeks. His face was as stunned as I felt and my heart started beating very quickly. Not because I liked him in that way but because he was alive. My best friend since I was 7 had actually survived.

"Lauren?" I looked past Ben's shoulder and saw his dad, Tom Mason. "Is that really you?"

Everyone stood in a comfortable silence for a few seconds until we heard more Mechs coming. Ben tugged my arm, "come on, we'll take you to where we are staying." I pulled away.

"No." I stopped, "Tegan's trapped. she got her leg stuck."

Fear arose in me and I saw Hal's face drop, "Tegan? she's alive?" he muttered, more to himself than to me.

Tegan and Hal were close before this happened. They always wanted to get together, anyone could tell, but Hal had a girlfriend and Tegan always had guys following her round. I guess neither of them were in the right place at the time.

"Yes, and she needs our help." I showed them the way to the destroyed house and eventually found Tegan.

She was laying against the wall and her eyes were closed. Oh crap. Our dark brown hair was probably the only thing that made us anything alike. She had green eyes, I had brown. She was skinny, I was more curvy but still somewhat skinny. She was a tall 5'9, I was 5'6.

"Tee, hey!" I knelt down beside her and shook her gently. She groaned a little and opened her eyes, that looked dull until she noticed who was with me.

She stared for a second at Hal "Am I dead?" she asked.

At any normal time I would of laughed at that but not right now. Nothing about right now was normal. "They're alive, Tee. They are gonna help." I smiled, trying to reassure her.

Tom and Hal both looked at Ben and he nodded. Moving away from Tegan, I studied Ben curiously. He pulled the thing off her leg like it was no effort at all. That's when I realised small spiked on his neck, trialling down his back. Strange.

"How did this happen?" Mr Mason asked, looking around at the abomination.

"I think it was them aliens." Tegan spat. She tried to stand up but found it difficult so I helped.

"You're not going to be able to walk properly for a few days, but we'll take you back to Charleston and we have a doctor there." Mr Mason told us, he was such a kind man.

"Thank you so much, Tom." I thanked and we hobbled back through the wreckage. "Is it safe there, how many of you is there?"

"It's safe enough, considering." Hal informed me, holding Tegan at the other side, "and there are a lot of us."

I smiled to myself. Maybe there is hope.

We kept making stops along the way to check if there were any supplies in any stores but didn't have much luck. After about ten minutes of walking in silence, well I say silence but Tegan wouldn't shut up moaning about her ankle, we reached a car.

Ben, Hal and Tegan sat in the back and she had to lean on Hal most of the ride so she was happy and me and Tom sat in the front. He offered to let me drive and I had to remind him I'm only 16 and hadn't ever drove anything but a motorcycle.

"You'll love it in Charleston." Tom smiled at the road, "it's got rooms and hot water for showers and food-"

"And guns?" I asked, hoping there were a lot.

"Yes, and I see you know how to use one very well." He sounded impressed so I took it as a compliment.

"Well someone has to know how to shoot the enemy." I hinted toward Tegan, who was happily staring up at Hal.

Tom laughed, which was good because me and Tee hardly ever laughed anymore, "is there anyone my age?" I asked.

God, I hoped there was.

"Well theres Ben..." he thought for a second, "His girlfriend, and few others." Tom nodded.

"She's not my girlfriend." Ben blushed but tried to hide it.

"Oh okay whatever." Tom smirked. That's the first time I realised it, but he looked so terribly tired. And sad.

"If you don't mind me asking, where is Matt? Is he alright? Is he..." I trialled off. Matt was the youngest child of Tom Mason and Hal was the oldest.

I'm guessing Matt is around 12 now and Ben is my age. Though I'm not so sure about Hal. He must be able 17 going on 18.

"He's fine." Tom said, "We're all still together."

"Not all of us." Ben added and I realised he must of been talking about his mother.

I turned round and gave a sympathetic smile to Ben. "What about your parents?" he raised an eyebrow.

Tee's head shot up and she stopped resting on Hal. She missed mum and dad so much. I did too but I could hide my feelings very well.

I simply shook my head at Ben and have Tegan a quick glance before turning back to the road.

We pulled up at a big old fashioned building surrounded by cars that were turned on their sides. I could see the tops of peoples heads and the guns, ready to shoot any threat.

"We have some new people." Tom called over to a man with long hair that ended at his shoulders, as he got at the car.

I followed him and looked up at the building. Someone whistled and I almost felt flattered until I noticed that Tegan had stepped out the car too. I helped her walk in and we got a lot of stares.

Tom directed us toward a small sort of clinic and I helped Tegan get there safely before going to explore our new home.