Chapter 15: Rescue

Hayden's Pov

  We sat queitly in the silence of the surgery waiting room. Hours had long since passed since Hadie had been rushed into the emergency room. Hadie's injuries were too extinsive for them to wait. They murmured words like " Seperated muscle" or " blood poisoning". I wasn't knowledgeable enough to know what those words alone meant, but i could infer enough. And the lookout wasn't all sunshine and sweets.

  I sighed, glaring at the the TV screen for lack of anything else to distract my mind. I hated this, and it wasn't only the fact that my brother was lying helpless under anestegia as the team of doctors and nurses strived to save him. The useless position I felt killed me. The knowledge that nothing I did right now could help him. All I could do was let others take care of him, to sit and hope they could save him. It wasn't an emotion my body felt often, and I wasn't eager for more. I shifted in the uncomfortably stiff chair and sighed.

  Glancing around, I felt the others dis-ease and worry as well. They were experiencing exactly what I was, and they didn't appreciate it any better.

  Hadie's friends who I learned were Jade, the brown haired girl, Alex, his boyfriend, and

Ashli and Chris were the blonde couple. My parents stood near the waiting room entrance. I called them after calling the police, sothey agreed to meet me at the hospital with Hadie's friends. Thinkin of them, I gave them a cursory glance.

Alex was crying and Jade, i think that's her name, rubbed circles into his back. The blonde couple sat wrapped in each others arms, their silence a comfort. I found myself wishing for that kind of comfort. It was something exclusive. Only a lover could give that to you. I turned away before tears could blur my eyes.

In unison, we looked toward the surgery room where a doctor walked to us. Behind her, a team of nurses pushed an unconscious Hadie away.

" What's gonna happen to her?" Alex asked in a tear-choked voice. He sniffled again before clearing his throat. The nurse gave him a strange look.

" Who do you mean?"

" I'm talking about Hadie!" He seemed frustrated, a reasonable feeling in this situation. The nurse still looked overly perplexed.

" Sir, Hadie Davids is a boy." All of Hadie's friends stared at her, shocked. She frowned at them. " You mean you all didn't know?" They shook their heads and continued to stare. " Well then, is there anyone here who knew of Mr. Hadie Davids origional gender?"

My parents and I stepped forward, raising our hands. " What is your relationship with Hadie Davids?"

My father spoke up, " I'm Jacob Williams and this is my wife, Jasmine, and my daughter, Hadie. We're Hadie's bological parents and Hadie's his twin sister."

" Please tell me nothing's wrong with our boy. We just found him after a decade of searching, please! We don't want to lose him again." My mom pleaded with the nurse. The nurse's face softened with concern.

" Well, I'll tell you how your son is now from what we know. Your son seems to have been in an automobile accident over three days ago. Initially, the issues at that time were that his right leg was fractured in three places, he suffered from a concussion that wasn't treated, and his ribs were cracked. However, " she paused at my mother's look of horror and cleared her hroat. " now the lack of immediate treatment has exacerbated those injuries and since he has been held in a basement for those few days after the incident without proper food and water intake, his body was unable to cope with the damage."

My mom fell into my father's arms and sobbed. Father looked down at her and simply held her. He looked up at the nurse and asked ," What do you mean he was unable to cope?" My father's voice was devoid of any emotion.

" I mean that by the time we'd gotten to your son, his organs were already shutting down. Your son was dying."

*****-*****-*****-*****-*****

I know its short and you guys hate me. I hate how short this is and its a cliffy. Sorry. This ending probably wasnt what you were expecting.

Anyway, let me stop guessing and you guys can tell me. Comments?