Chapter 10: Unlikely Surprises, Part 2

I reared back at her shocking admission, though I fell only a few inches back before I was yanked again, matching her pace. I couldn't meet them now. I got the feeling that meeting them would change everything I ever thought with my mom. But I was a little curious, maybe I'd find something...

An itchy feeling rode my spine and I twitched, jerking back again. Why was she so strong?!

" Can you stop?" I yelled, trying to banish the fear from my voice." I can walk on my own." I protested, when she didn't respond though, I added," You're hurting my wrist! What'll you do if you sprain it?"

" Oh, sorry Hayden, I took judo for PE, but I can't really reel in my strength," she smiled back at me sheepishly, finally releasing my hand. I kneaded the skin, knowing that my pale white skin will soon be replaced by molten purple bruises because of its sensitivity.

" Well," I shrugged, frowning as I pushed at the pained skin," how are we getting to your parents?"

" By car," she said, surprise lilting her voice up in pitch. " What did you think? Although I am an exercise lover, I don't walk everywhere." She snorted with laughter.

I could see her point, though. I felt a little dumb suggesting differently. I snickered. She grinned at me, a snicker pinching her cheeks. I snickered again and soon we were both laughing. I felt relieved. If she was really my sister, I would hate to start our relationship on the wrong foot.

We headed toward the parking lot. I picked out her car immediately. It was a small Beetle bug, similar to Jade's except it was a vibrant rose red.

" That is so not fair, how come you get a car this cute while I'm stuck envying my bestie's." I pouted before climbing into the passenger seat.

" We have similar tastes, " She said cheerfully, a bright grin on her lips.

" Not that we are actually related. I don't have a twin." I know how cruel of me it was to deny her, but I couldn't bring myself to believe. The itchy feeling increased.

" Yeah." she mumbled, glum as she settled into the front seat. She fiddled with the rearview then buckled her seat belt. I copied her. She pulled out of her parking spot and drove down the road, the school quickly disappearing from sight.

" Well, when we find out that we aren't it wont change the way I think of you." I offered. She didn't respond, but I didn't expect her to.

The ride was a short one, but the silence bothered me. I didn't want to break it though. What if i said something else mean or stupid?

I knew where she was heading, it was the city section of Danesville, given it wasn't much. Danesville's stores weren't much in the variety, it was modest at best. Without anything except stores owned by the citizens, it was a less than modern front.

She passed the main road and turned off it on a side street. It didn't take long before she had yielded and pulled into a driveway.

The first thing I noticed was the color. The house was normal in all ways except its paint color. The color was a pepto bismol pink. I'm sure the paint people insisted it was a sweet caribbean hue, but the owner needed to realize it was their job to sell all colors.

" It's a horrible choice, huh?"

" Dreadfully so." I shook my head, opening the car door and stepping onto the white concrete driveway. I shut my car door, hearing an echoing slam, but I didn't move toward the front door. She noticed my hesitation and said,

" Come on, Hayden, I know you want to meet them. Don't let your fears direct you." Then, turning on her heel, she turned and made her way up the sidewalk to the front door with a familiarity that spoke of her history with the house, which was natural.

I hesitated for only another moment before trailing after her with a quickness, I didn't want to be left behind. She was unlocking the door when I caught up. She flung it open and stepped inside. I followed, scanning the photos lining the entrance hallway.

They depicted a pair of children's childhood. The pictures featured a family of four: daddy, mommy, daughter, son. They all modeled blonde as their hair color except the dad's, which was a juxtaposed black. One picture showed the children, twins from their matching clothes and appearance, sitting on a park bench together. Their heads were inclined toward each other, and they were grinning identically while their eyes shone with their love and closeness to each other. The only difference was their eyes, his a vibrant purple while hers was a sky blue.

My chest clenched and I hurried to catch up to her. She entered the open room first, and two voices greeted her.

" Welcome Home, Hadie, you couldn't take it again," said honey and silk. " Sweetheart, you need to learn to live with it."

" Mom, how can I? He's my twin." The words themselves were impassioned but her tone suggested this was a conversation that they rehashed often.

" Hayden was my son too, and as. much as I want to stay home and cry about the unfairness, I can't."

" Mother, can we not discuss this now," She asked, exasperation had crept into her tone." I have a guest." She waved at me to come forward. I moved backward and she sighed, stepping back out of the room and coming toward me. " Come on, little kitten." She pulled me forward.

And I went unresistant because of the pet name. It felt so tangible, so familiar in that second, but everything didn't click until I saw them.

They were definitely a match made well. The father sported the looks of a common bad boy, but the twinkle glittering in his sapphire blue eyes was welcoming, also I could tell that although he was sitting, he was very tall.

The mom was a blonde similar to her. It glowed with a healthy golden hue which collaborated well with her stormy gray eyes. She smiled a wide grin that drew you in from the glimmer of it. The laughter lines cupping her lips showed how well used that smile was.

" Doll." Why did it feel so right to call her that? I called my mom that name but there had always been an underlining in the phrase that I could never discern. Was it because she wasn't my true Doll?

The mom glanced up still smiling but her eyes widen as she caught sight of me. " Hayden..." She whispered, then clutched the father's forearm.

" Wha- Jasmine you know we haven't seen that child since he- Hayden? Is that you?" He'd just looked up and seen me.

" I- I'm not Hayden, my name's Hadie Davids."

" Hush up boy, I'd know my own son anywhere." The mom frowned up at me.

" Seriously?" I whispered. Was this really happening to me? And what do they mean by son? I'm a girl.

*****†-**&***

So comments? Tell me your thoughts? Plz. What do you think will happen next. I've already thought of something and I guarantee it'll be a shocker;)