Chapter 21: Blank

Hayden's POV

Alex's back was turned to me and Hadie was still talking to me, but I couldn't hear her over the harsh roaring of blood driving through my ears. I don't know, couldn't tell what the myriad of emotions that squeezed my heart were, but they didn't feel like warm milk and cookies.

Hadie's POV

I watched his eyes, so much like mine except color, drift past his group to the one thing I didn't want him to see. I knew Alex and his flavor of the month was behind me, swapping spit in public as was their custom. Not to say Alex didn't love Josh, and we weren't happy for him, but this wasn't something I wanted Hayden to see, especially since he wasn't as stable as he should be.

I knew why Alex was doing this in any case. When I came to visit Hayden, I heard Hayden yelling so I sped up a bit, apprehension dogging my steps as if I knew something was wrong.

" What's the point of you being here if that's all you do! Huh!" Hayden's voice pitched higher than normal, and I heard the trembling of those words. I don't believe Alex did from soft rumble of rage edged his words before he waked quickly from the room. When he spotted me, he shook his head and said," I can't do that again, I'm sorry, but it's too much."

I opened my mouth to speak, but ,before words could fall, Alex had knocked some poor boy to the ground.

" Ouch! Watch it, you uh-" The hispanic boy had looked up and stuttered. His brown eyes widened, then he grinned flirtatiously. " What's your name, handsome?"

Alex's mouth open and he blushed. " Uhm..." Immediately, the blond boy frowned.

" You're not with someone, are ya?" Alex shook his head negative. " Straight?" Another negative. " Well, then, I think you're perfect for me, so let's go get some pizza, yes?" His brown eyes twinkled with humor and he bounced to his feet. He held a hand out for Alex to take.

Alex took the preferred hand and followed the boy to the elevator.

" By the way, my name's José Garcia, and my friends and you, sweets, call me Josh. You never did tell me your name, sweets. I need to know the name of the guy who bowled me over with his hotness, ya know?" They stepped onto the elevator and Josh's voice disappeared.

I don't know what those two talked about that day, but the next week, when I arrived at school, Josh had transferred in and they were glued to each other's sides like pb&j.

Although Josh wasn't the kind of guy I expected for Alex, Alex was smiling again for what was the first time since Hayden's kidnapping and accident, so obviously Josh was good for something. Even if Hayden still wanted Alex, after everything he'd said plus their history, I didn't think they were a good match any longer. Alex needed Josh's innocent goodness, not regret and sad history. Hayden didn't need that either, no matter what he felt.

I watched Hayden's expression close down and he turned away, walking quietly toward the school's entrance. I wanted to go to him, but something was holding me back. Maybe it was the feeling that he wanted to be left alone, and I obeyed it.