prologue

“Cassie… Cass, wait! Please, stop!” he called. I ignored him, reaching up to wipe the tears out of my eyes as I carried on walking. I shivered, the cold rain soaking me, my hair already dripping. “Cassidy, please,” he reached out, his fingers wrapping round my wrist as he whirled me round to face him. “I'm sorry. They don't mean it. I'm sorry.” 

“They hate me,” I choked out. “They all do. Your family, his family, your fans…” 

“Did you think it would be easy?” he asked quietly. “Did you think we could just fall right back into-” 

“They're right,” I interrupted as I looked up at him, his hair flat and wet from the rain. “Everything that happened was down to me and I can't- I can't believe I thought this would ever work. I should have just stayed in New York and then-” 

“No!” he snapped, his grip on my arm tightening. “No, you never should have left me in the first place! You should have stayed here and- you can't run away anymore. We've wasted so much time, Cassidy…” he whispered, his finger trailing down my cheek as I closed my eyes. “We keep wasting time. We can't waste anymore.” 

“I know,” I blinked up at him. He smiled softly, one arm slipping round my waist as he pulled me towards him and I buried my face in his jumper, squeezing my eyes shut. “I'm sorry.” I mumbled. 

“S'okay,” he whispered, pulling back from me and staring into my eyes. “Because I love you.” 

“I love you too,” I whimpered. 

“It's you and me, Cassie. For keeps.” 

“For keeps,” I repeated. He grinned, leaning down and brushing his lips against mine softly before taking my hands in his. 

“Come on,” he tugged me back towards the building I'd just escaped from. “Time to face the music.”