✴Chapter 8: Deceptive Eyes

Start from the beginning

"Where did you go?" he asked.

Why was he so persistent about it? And why did even want to know this?

As she opened her mouth to reply, his voice immediately stopped her. "And don't bother even lying to me, darling. I can easily tell when you lie." he gave her a sickeningly sweet smile, almost pretentious.

Damn it.

"I went at Rousseau's-- remember, the bar you massacred so many innocent people?"

He sighed with a proud smile on his face, leaning back. "Oh that explains a lot now."

Davina narrowed her eyes at his comment, yet she did not speak. "Okay. My turn now. Where is the gold dagger?"

Kol, once again, rolled his eyes annoyed. Yes! This time, there was no way he could avoid her question! She would finally have a direct answer! She wouldn't have to use her backup plan after all!

"Your family has it."

But she forgot who she was speaking to.

Her full of hope smile soon turned into a frown, leaving behind a disappointed girl with crashed hopes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Uh-ah, that's not how it works Davina Claire. One question, one answer. That was the deal, yes?"

She glared viciously at him. She had been tricked in her own game! But she had to admit, Kol's smart answer was very diplomatic; by implying the location of the dagger cannot be called neither a lie nor avoiding the truth. That bastard.

"Why is Klaus so eager to protect that human girl, Camille?"

Davina chewed the inside of her cheek. "Well, I suppose he admires her courage. Cami was not afraid to confront him and she helped him with his..mental problems."

A smug look appeared on his face, as he revealed his pearly white teeth. "Mental problems. Yeah, he certainly has plenty of them." he murmured to himself.
"Anyway, go ahead. Ask."

She had to think about this very well. What she should ask, what indeed..

"Why did you betray Mary Alice?"

But then, his face tensed. The sudden change of his mood sent shivers down her spine, as his now darkened eyes were looking directly at hers. Hm? Did she touch a nerve? You could say she was satisfied if that was the case, but she was far away from the truth. Kol stood on his feet swiftly and paced closer to her, eventually though being forced to come to an halt due to the limited area he was trapped in. The witch did not move an inch, she simply crossed her arms and arched an eyebrow, waiting impatiently for his response. "Well?" she urged.

"So what if I did?" he said eventually, clasping his hands behind his back. "Mary Alice was naive for putting faith in someone like me. She knew about my reputation, yet she chose to help me defeat Klaus. And look where that got her. You should learn from your ancestor's mistakes, darling. You definitely don't want to repeat the past, right?"