Chapter 16- Since You've Been Gone

Ryder's Point of View

"I have to tell you something."

"What?" I said sobering up a bit.

"First, I wanted to say sorry about showing up drunk, that was not cool," she said seriously. "I had Buck drive me back here and he had some alcohol in his car. I was so nervous about coming back but I had way too much to drink."

"But you are coming back permanently now?" I asked.

She bit her lip. "Listen, I don't really remember what I told you in the woods but I met someone that night when we last talked in February. Jackson he was Danny's older brother who went to college with my brother in Arizona. He had heard about me being arrested and promised to show me something if I went with him."

"So that's why you told your dad you were going to live there," I said nodding.

"He took me to this apartment in Arizona,and there was Daniel alive and happy, he was with staying with his brother there. That's why I went to stay with my brother, Matt so I could be near him."

"How is that possible?" I asked not believing her.

"Well, he survived falling off the roof, his parents were really well connected, they paid a doctor to fake his death certificate and let him live with his brother in Arizona. Only his family knew, he wanted to escape his old life, I guess he wanted a fresh start."

"That's crazy," I said in shock.

"I know, but it was everything I wanted. Lucas and Max convinced their parents to lift the restraining orders. It felt like we could have our old life back. We started traveling together and it seemed like everything was falling into place."

"Why would you come back then?" I asked annoyed.

She sighed. "So much had changed. I thought I could just move on and everything would be fine. Except every time I got closer to Daniel I just couldn't forgive him for everything he put me through. He was so selfish, I mean I went to prison and couldn't sleep properly for years after everything that went down."

"So you left," I said sort of understanding now.

She nodded. "Daniel was mad, but Lucas and Max understood. I think they felt little betrayed by him too."

"So now what?" I asked.

"I don't know, my dad wanted me to finish school and get my life together. I don't know how yet but what I do know is I came back because every day I was gone, you were the only I wanted to be with, every time I hung out with them, you were the one I wanted to see, and at night when I couldn't sleep and relied on my sleeping pills you were the one I wanted there," she said quietly.

"Look Harley you were gone for almost three months and I," my voice broke when I saw tears rolling down her face, "Harley I just need some time to digest all of this. You hurt me and as happy as I am to see you alive and well I am still angry you left me."

She looked at me with those gorgeous grey eyes and nodded. She got up to leave but lingered at the balcony for a moment. "Ryder, I really am sorry about everything I didn't mean to complicate your easy life with my twisted one."

"My life was twisted before I met you," I said quietly. She looked at me one more time with fresh tears in her eyes then left.

After she left I changed and got into bed, I shouldn't have had so much to drink, I was going to have a horrible hangover when I woke up. I put on some music and fell asleep, wondering if I should go back to Harley or try to find something more simple.

I woke up to people shuffling around downstairs and went down and see everyone with their suitcases. "Where are you three going?" I asked.

"Remember when we told you that when both of you got into college we would take you to London?" Uncle Jordan says.

"No."

"Well good because you don't get to go." He said teasingly.

I rolled my eyes. "When will you be back?" I asked.

"Around August, you have a credit card, a whole house to yourself, try not to die," he said winking and went with Blake to put the suitcases in the car.

"Look sweetie try to have some fun okay?" Aunt Megan said smiling at me. "You had a rough year, try to relax and make the best of it okay?" She gave me a hug and went outside as well.

I joined them outside and said bye to Blake and my uncle. After they left, I went upstairs and got back in bed and dealt with my killer hangover.

After awhile I went outside to take a walk to try and clear my head. Do I date a girl who might just pick up and leave again? Or do I hope she changes? Or do I completely abandon her and find someone new? As I thought about this, I found myself walking towards a Starbucks., I went in and saw none other than Harley with freshly dyed silver-gray hair on the phone. He wondered how often she had changed her hair while she was gone. As he stood in line, he could here her on the phone.

"Look Dad I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Matt knew so technically he was in the wrong for not telling me."

There was a pause as her father spoke.

"I guess you could try explaining that to them. I am not talking to Daniel anymore so you'll have to go through his parents."

Another pause.

"I know. I'm staying here. I already talked to the school there are willing to let me come back for another year," she said.

Another pause.

"Okay, love you too," she said before hanging up the phone.

I got my coffee and quickly left. I thought back to the conversation I overheard. Harley and I would be in senior year together, she was sticking around, and she was trying to change for real this time. With all that on my mind I knew this would be one long summer.