1

A school filled with magic is still a school. You can decorate it with magical candles, place it in the middle of nowhere, put fucking squid in the lake, but it still doesn't change anything.

School isn't fun, ask any kid who's ever sat in a classroom. Even people who like school don't actually like school. Why? Because it takes fun things and makes them horrible. Take, Witch Hunting in America, sounds interesting maybe even fun. But no, now you make us remember important dates, too many names, write fourteen essays, have a few pop quizzes, and (you really can't forget, because it's like 80 percent of your grade) the exam.

It's a fact everything loses it charm. If you listen to the same song every single day, one day you won't be able to stand it.

The only thing that doesn't fall into this is coffee, because coffee has always been too good for us and drinking a gallon an hour won't make me love it less.

Professor Buzzlern continues to say words that fall deaf to everyone (which isn't new, but still worthy enough to mention). He stands in his robes that are a bit too long, even though he's probably the love child of a giant and slug, and glasses the magnify his eyes to be about the size of my fist.

The sound of Sirius Black's snores blend with the sound of quills writing to create melody known as History of Magic.

Before everything, me and Eli used to talk about how much we hated the class, everyday when we were in the same school our groans and remarks about it drove Lucinda, his girlfriend, and our family insane. But they never understand the pain that his voice was, it was like your ear being gently sawed off, agonizing.

Rachel Boot leans in towards me, her manicured nails discreetly point towards the other side.

My eyes do as told and look, the Marauders sit there. See I'm not particularly obsessed with them like most girls in the school, but it's hard to deny the fact they seem like movie characters, to good to be true. Each one owning such a wonderful smile, all completely different, ranging from Remus Lupin's soft smile to Sirius Black's devilish grin. And their hair's quite nice too, James--

"Did you hear," Rachel asks. "Sirius Black ran away, leaving his younger brother as the heir of the whole Black fortune." Now, Rachel is a decent person but nonetheless, a bit materialistic. "My mother's been trying to put in a good word for me, but Angie? Can you imagine how nice life would be with all that money."

Money, money, money. The one thing wizards and muggles had in common.

I shrug. "Wouldn't you rather marry out of love, instead of..." I search for the right word.

"...wealth," Rachel finishes for me. She scrunches her nose and her eyes are still trained on Sirius. "The worlds ending, so I decided over Christmas Break, if I die, I'd love to to die rich."

A very understandable choice. If I managed to get some will to live, I might consider it myself

"Go for the older ones," I say, remembering a book I'd found in my little sisters room. "They'll love to have the attention of someone as pretty as you."

She laughs, and for a moment some comes out of me too. But it's gone far too soon, and we're back to taking notes (which I will probably steal from someone else later because most of the time I can't even read my own writing, which has always set me back in life but I still don't plan on fixing it anytime soon).

There's a pause in the lecture, and I look up at the professor. He opens his mouth but is, thankfully, beaten by the bell dismissing us.