49

Rachel and I try and make adjustments to Siobhan, though she already looks perfect. We both try to straighten out her hair or use our wands to re-curl a piece of her hair, hoping we can make the last moments before she goes down the aisle last longer.

But then I stop Rachel's hand from fixing a strap, then feel a sudden wave of pride overcome me. "She's ready," I say, then turn to Siobhan. "You're ready to go now, Vonnie."

Her eyes are full of tears. "I'm getting married."

I nod, gripping her shoulders to steady her. "You want to run away?"

"I have the getaway car ready," Rachel adds in. "I have the money in my bag and a pair of keys."

But it makes her cry and I instantly go to smack Rachel, who shuffles away from my violence.

"He's my person," she says, carefully wiping the tears from her eyes. "I'm so lucky because even after everything, I get to marry my person. I just never thought I'd be getting married this young or that Edwin would ever propose, I'd just always assumed I'd have to man up and," her voice cracks. "I get to say my wedding day was the happiest day of my life and it doesn't have to be a lie."

With that, we all slowly wipe away our tears and get ready to leave the dressing room. There's no need for jumping out of windows or getaway cars because this is it for her. She's only eighteen and he's just turned nineteen and everyone doubts them but I just know, this is going to work out for them both.

I'm in the bathroom, trying to repin the pearl barrettes I'd gotten from Aunt Sally. My fingers clumsily try and replicate the hairdo Delia had perfected on me. It'd come undone after I'd managed to somehow catch the bouquet the same moment Rachel tackled me faster than a bludger.

My fingers continue to try and try hopelessly.

"Just leave it."

"What," I say, turning to the voice that had magically just appeared. It scares me the sudden input but then I'm greeted by my little sister.

Rory stands in a dress too. It matches mine in every way except the colour. It's the exact shade of light blue I want for my own bridesmaid dresses one day. Her long dark hair is in curls and she knows how to actually do hair so hers is a million times better than anything I could ever do.

My back hits the wall and I take a breath to steady myself, "Should I part my hair to the side maybe?"

She shakes her head. "Middle parts are the way to go, but it'll take everybody a few decades to realise it."

"Okay," I whisper, throwing the clips into my bag while my hands shake because this reminds me of a dream that I replay in my head far too often. While trying to close my purse, I manage to get out. "What're you doing Ror?"

"I really liked the wedding," she tells me. "The simple off-shoulder dress looked really nice on Siobhan. I also loved the purple and muted green theme, it really felt summery though I'd argue it could've easily been used for a spring wedding. You and James looked really nice, I liked how he had a grey suit. Your lover has very nice style--"

"Lorelai."

"Yes?"

"I hate that you're not here to tell me I have no sense of style."

My words paint her face in hurt, "Well," she says, "you look nice for once. Maybe you don't need me anymore."

There's never a day where her existence couldn't make it a million times better, I want to tell her.

 That I think of her so much and that I read her favourite books and do the quizzes in the magazines how she'd do it just to know what she gets because she never leaves my mind. I want to tell her all these things about how important she is and that I'll never know how to exist without her but instead it comes out as: