Chapter Thirty - "Roses."

"The Mechanic"

Chapter Thirty

'Roses.'

Scene...

Continuing

Demi's POV

"Because in all of my twenty-six years of life, I have never wanted every part of someone as badly as I want every part of you."

I was surprised at my mechanic's straight-forwardness during such a flooded event. He seemed a bit relieved after setting the words free, as I watched his shoulders relax a bit more once they left his lips. I tucked my bottom lip beneath my teeth as he moved nearer to me, but still kept his hands at his sides.

"Well," I began, blatantly disregarding any subtlety in flirtation, "That could mean a number of things, Joseph."

He leaned down, just barely touching his lips to my ear as he whispered.

"I promise you," he gripped my shoulder, "I mean it in every. Sense."

Fuck.

I let out a shaky breath at his words, as the electric shocks zipped through me with more force than they ever had before. Joe kept his lips at my ear as he pulled me in, his hands sliding onto my sides and gripping them tightly.

His voice became so impossibly deep; his every breath sending chills down my spine.

"But, you see, I'm a gentleman," he muttered. "I can't just take the things I want; it's just not how I was raised. No matter how . . . enticing I find you to be."

Then, almost suddenly, he released me entirely. 

And right as he did, his name was called.

"Joe!" His brother Nicholas yelled, pulling open the glass door we'd gone through. Joe didn't turn around to acknowledge his brother, but kept his eyes on me.

All over me. 

Nick continued to speak anyway.

"Come in. Mom's asking for you."

Joe smiled at me as he extended his hand.

"Ready to head back inside?" He asked slowly, never looking away. I held his gaze for a moment, enjoying the communication we were having with our eyes. He gave me a wink, and at this, I bit my lip. Once again, I had fallen into his hypnotic trance, and as if on command, I took his hand.

We re-entered the party and saw that everyone was taking their seats around a finely decorated table. I stayed close to Joe's side as we weaved through bunches of people, until finally we made our way to a group of empty chairs.

"Which seat would you like?" He asked, leaning over to me.

"Doesn't matter," I replied with a grin.

"Joey?" We heard from behind us, and with that, Joe turned around.

"I told you I hate that, Ma," he responded, immediately letting go of my hand and walking over to her.

"My sweet boy," she said, touching his face. "Oh, how I've missed you."

Joe leaned down and kissed the curly-haired woman on the cheek, and she pulled him in tightly for a hug. It lasted such a long time that I began to feel awkward for watching. 

"It hasn't been that long," he said once she finally let him go.

"I know, I know," she sighed, looking up at him in awe. "You look so handsome."