Chapter Thirteen - "She Was Love."

"The Mechanic"

Chapter Thirteen

'She Was Love.'

Scene . . .

Continuing

Demi's POV

During the time I watched Joe's car leave the long driveway, I gathered together what I could possibly say to Ariana. I was absolutely certain she was going to quit; that was if Will hadn't fired her already. When the taillights completely disappeared from my view, I turned around and saw her there, still sitting on the porch.

Slowly I stepped toward her, and gave her a small wave.

"Hey," I muttered, moving nearer. She stood then, a worried look upon her face. Quickly she came toward me, placing both hands on my upper arms.

"I was so worried about you, Dem. Are you okay?"

"Me?" I asked, baffled. She continued speaking, my eyes widening in surprise at her every word.

"I shouldn't have left you, Demi, I knew he'd hurt you, but I was just... I was so scared." She embraced me tightly, locking her arms around me. "God, I am the worst friend in the world for leaving you with him like that."

This was not what I had expected. I thought that I was the one that had things to feel bad for.

"Whoa whoa, Ari, hold on," I said, prompting her to release me from her hug. She did, and when I saw her face again, she was in tears.

"I'm so sorry, Demi. I feel so awful-,"

"Ari, stop." I said, feeling absolutely perplexed. "If anyone owes any apologies here, it's me."

Ariana's face became horribly confused, and immediately I realized: she was the most selfless human being on the planet.

I was the one that was being stupid, and I was the one that stayed with Will. I was the one that kicked her out of my car and abandoned her on a street, just because she was warning me and reminding me that she loved me. I was the one that ultimately put her in such a scary situation, where she could have been hurt. I was the one that ignored her every concern, warning, and loving gesture.

I was the one that should have apologized long ago.

She didn't ever see any fault in me or my actions, and right then her facial expression affirmed that even more so.

"You are such an incredible human being, Ari," I said, smiling graciously at her. "I owe you so much."

She reached a hand up and wiped her eyes, sniffling through her next words.

"Demi, I should have stayed."

"No! Stop blaming yourself!"

"But Demi, look at you!" She placed her fingers on the handprint-shaped bruises around my neck, her eyes heavy with guilt. "He hurt you again and I wasn't there to stop him! I ran away like a coward."