Chapter 14

I was able to leave the hospital that following morning. I left the bed, but not the hospital. Danielle is supposed to leave today, she has an concussion, but I’m afraid she won’t remember me.

            I knock on the door. Danielle looks from the window to me. I give her a small smile. She looks back out of the window and places her finger-tips on them. I walk in the room and shut the door. I look out the window to see what she’s looking at.

            “I hope I can love you one day the way you’re showing me you love me by being here and trying to help me remember. My parents told me that they have never seen someone cry so much in their life.”

            I look at her. “It’s my fault you’re in here, and now you can’t remember me.” I swallow hard. I hold back my tears.

            “I may not know who you are, but don’t put the blame on your shoulders. I can tell you’re carrying enough weight as it is.” She looks at me and runs her finger tips down the window. “The doctor said I have an concussion, people always remember from concussions, right Addison?”

            “You said my name.”

            “I was told your name a billion times. I don’t remember it though.”

            I stare out the window. “I’m usually called Addie for short.”

            “Addie.”

            Her voice sounds so sweet and innocent. Her body is so soft and fragile, but I hurt her. I was the reason she’s bruised up. I can’t imagine the other places she’s bruised besides her face, arms, and legs. I kept her safe and protected, until last night.

            “Tell me, Addie. What did we do together?”

            I chuckle to the thought of a million of things we did together. “We did a lot Danielle.” I look at her. “We have been dating for 7 months, but almost 8. Our anniversary is actually in two days. It’s the 25th of every month until September 25, then it’s September 25 of every year. We took so many pictures, explored new places, rode bikes to the beach, your in gymnastics while I’m in boxing, we both play softball, and we explored…” I pause and shake my head getting rid of the thought of touching her body.

            “We explored what Addie?” She looks at me curious.

            “We explored each other’s bodies.” I feel my face turn red. I notice that she’s blushing and her eyes are wide open.

            “We did?”

            “Yes. I was your first, you were my first, of everything.”

            She clears her throat and reaches in her pocket. I watch her and see her pulling out her phone. She looks at me and hands it to me. “Find me pictures of us.”

            I gladly take her phone and search through her pictures. I scoot closer to her. For some reason I feel nervous around her. She’s like a stranger, because she doesn’t remember me. I’m afraid to hug her or anything. I lean her phone screen towards her so she can see as I slide my thumb across the screen. She has a bunch of pictures of us. I see her face blush dark red when a picture of us naked shows up. We’re not noticeable naked, but I know that in this picture we are. The picture is from the chest up. She’s leaning on me and I’m smiling into the camera. She turns her attention to me and I look at her.

            “Your… skin…” she pauses for a moment and her eyes wander across my body. “Your skin… looks soft…”

            “Find out for yourself if it really is soft…” I say.