Chapter 9

I’m sitting in class right now talking to Valerie. Today is the day where people receive or give candy/roses/letters/chocolate/etc. Yep, that’s right, today is Valentine’s Day. Not only that on February 25, that will be mine and Danielle’s 5th month anniversary.

            “Did you do anything special for Danielle?” Valerie asks as she fettles with her pencil.

            I look up at her. “Yeah. I bought 4 roses, a box of candy, and a telegram that says ‘I bought 4 roses to represent the month’s we have been dating.’ I had to pay 10$ for all of it.” Our school was holding a fundraiser for Valentine’s Day where you can buy roses, candy, and a telegram. At the end of the day the receivers of the gifts will go to the gym to pick them up. It’s only 5th period right now, and we’re suppose to go to the gym in a few minutes to listen to a surprised guest speaker. We know it’s a military person, but they’re going to be talking about what they do on Valentine’s Day since they cannot be with their loved ones.

            “That was sweet. You guys make me smile.”

            “We do? Why?”

            “Because you’re so cute together. I wish I had someone special.” She frowns and puts her pencil down.

            “Aww, you’ll find someone.”

            “I hate Valentine’s Day.”

            I laugh at her and shake my head. “You only hate it, because you don’t have someone special to celebrate it with.” I smile at her.

            “That’s so not true.” She dis-agrees, but I know I’m right. “It is true. You’re jealousss.” I say picking on her. “I am not!” She throws a pencil at me and it hits me in the head. “Owww.” I hold my head and rub it. I pick the pencil up and set it on her desk. “Make sure you tell my girlfriend I died from a pencil.” She rolls her eyes and I laugh.

            I see Coach B walking to me and I turn my body to the front looking at him.

            “Are you trying out for softball?” He asks as he sits on top of a desk facing me.

            I nod my head. “Yes. Are you going to be the head coach for varsity?” I ask hoping he will be.

            “Oh yeah. Diffidently.” He smiles.

            “I heard you pitch really fast and it hurts catcher’s hands.” I raise my eyebrow.

            “Well, let’s just say it’s not pleasant if you’re not use to me pitching to you.” He chuckles and gets off the desk.

            I shake my head.

            Intercom:

            Teachers pardon the interruption, please take your class to the gym.

            Everyone in the room gets up and we all walk out of the room going downstairs to the gym. I walk into the gym seeing a couple of military people standing in a line side to side. I see Danielle standing up against the railing on the bleachers and I walk over to her. She smiles big and I smile back.

            “Hey baby.” She says as I approach her.

            “Hey. I wonder who these military people are.” I stare at them. I think I might know one of them. One of them seems familiar, because of someone who goes to this school. Those kids are lucky to see their dad or mom or any family member. I still haven’t seen my mom. She never got the chance to see us Christmas. I frown a little and Danielle notices it. She puts her hand on my arm.