Chapter 4

I woke up with my arms still around Maya, she wasn't awake yet so I carefully got out of bed without waking her and made my way to the kitchen. I decided to make us pancakes, it was our thing, whenever she used come around I make her them as she was my short stack of pancakes.

I finished the pancakes with Nutella and strawberries and walked to my room so that we could eat breakfast in bed together. I know I was treating her like my girlfriend but she's had a tough few years, she deserved to have a better life. She was just waking up as I walked in, her hair was so messy yet she still managed to look beautiful.

M- Morning

L- Good morning, did you have a nice sleep

M- Yes thanks, oh and thank you for keeping me warm last night

L- No problem, would you like some pancakes

M- Oh you didn't have to

L- But I wanted to, they're you're favourite anyway

M- You remembered. How thoughtful

Since Maya had got here she had been acting really weird. She barely talked and when she did she was unusually polite.  I know she had been through a lot but I missed her sarcastic comments and all the nicknames she used to give me.

L- Maya are you Ok, you've been so quiet lately

M- Yeah, I'm fine I guess. I'm just getting used to living a normal life again

L- OK. If any thing ever worried you you can tell me, is there anything you want to do today?

M- Well I have to go and look for a job and I'm going to look for a house to rent

Why did she have to rent a house? I had told her so many times that I didn't mind her staying with me. I loved her staying with me, she was the only company I had. Was there something wrong with me that she didn't like?

L- I thought you were happy staying here. If you want I can clear out the spare room that's full of things from my parents house

M- No Lucas, I can't keep asking you to do all these things for me. The house, clothes, pancakes. It's too much

L- But you haven't asked for them. I gave you them because I love you

I couldn't believe I had said that. Yes, my feelings from years ago were starting to come back. But 'love' was a big word for anyone to say. I couldn't say that I fully meant it yet.

L- As a friend, of course. Maya these days you've been here have given me hope. After you have moved away I lost most of my friends. I finally feel like I've gained one

M- I'm sorry for making you lose your friends"

L- No, I don't mean it like that. I mean it as in that you have been good for me. Thank you

Maya seemed much happier after I told her that. We finished our breakfast and went out to find her a job. Most of the jobs we could find were in shops or in offices but she didn't want to work in any of them. We walked past the diner her mom used to work in, I looked at Maya and I could see tears building in her eyes. She didn't deserve to be born into such a complicated life without a proper family, even though she didn't want me to, I did pity her. 

Finally we reached the art gallery who were offering a part time job helping the children to paint. We talked to the man at the desk and he said he'd talk to the owner. I really hoped she got the job, her happiness meant a lot to me.