I'm Better

Chapter 11
Rachel's pov:
"Finn." I said surprised to see him.

"Dad." Layla said just as surprised.

"Happy birthday sweetie." He said smiling.

"Finn what are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I invited him." Kurt said.

"What!" I said.

"Rachel can I talk to you?" Finn asked me.

"Sure." I said and we walked out into the hall.

"Look I understand if you don't want me here and that's perfectly fine with me because you are Layla's mom and for me to barge in and intrude would be wrong but I am sober , I have been for nine months and I know it's not long but it's something and if you and Layla want to kick me out then fine but if you don't mind and if Layla doesn't mind either I would really , really like to stay." He told me .

I looked at him and said,

"You really are sober?" I asked him.

"Yeah see." He said and pulled out a sobriety chip.

"Okay let me ask Layla." I said.

I went back inside and pulled Layla into the kitchen.

"Hey so your dad is sober he's been sober for nine months now and he wants to stay but he said it's up to us but what do you think?" I asked her.

"I don't know . I mean I guess." She honey.

"Honey, this is your party so it is completely up to you." I said.

"I mean, I kind of want him to stay if you're alright with it." She told me.

"Yeah of course , come on I'll go get him." I said and I put my arm around her and we walked to the door opened it and let Finn in.

"Happy Birthday Layla." He said.

"Thanks." She said.

"Ugh here I have something for you." He said.

"What?" She asked him.

He pulled out a black box and gave it to her . Layla opened it and said,

"A locket?" She asked me.

"Layla , I know I was a real jerk when you first met me and that wasn't right to you because you deserve more than that. So this locket was my mothers and when I told her about you she gave this to me and said that this would be the thing that would keep us connected. It was passed down from her from her mother and father and now I'm giving it to you because you are my daughter and I know I'm not father of the year of anything like that but I am hoping that this can be the start of a good relationship between us." He told her.

"I love it , thank you." She said.

"You're welcome." He said smiling.

We all stood there in silence then he said,

"Here, why don't I put it on." He said .

"Okay." She said.

He took the necklace out of the box and put it on her neck.

"How's it look?" She asked him.

"Beautiful." He said.

"Mom?" She asked me.

"You look like a star." I said smiling .

"Okay everyone time for cake!" Kurt yelled.

(After the party)
Everyone left and it was just Layla and I on the couch.

"Ahhh, you know 16 years ago around 4am I was in the hospital yelling and screaming at the nurses to get this baby the fuck out of me and after hours after yelling at god and pushing and biting a nurse you my angel were finally born. And I was so hopped up on morphine that I almost named you Ophelia like Kurt wanted and then I saw you and I knew right then and there that your name was Layla Barbra Berry and that you were my most prize possession and that I would always love you." I said.

"Are you drunk?" She asked joking .

"Just a little." I said.

We sat there in silence and then Layla said,

"Hey mom?" She asked me laying on my shoulder.

"Yes princess?" I asked her.

"Do you think dad really meant what he said about wanting to be a part of our life?" She asked me.

I nodded and said,

"You know what, I do. I have known your father forever and if there's one thing I know it's that he can keep a promise." I said.

"Are you okay with him being here?" She asked me.

"Yeah, I want him to be in your life because anyone would be lucky to have you." I said.

"I love you mom." She said.

"I love you too peanut." And I kissed her forehead.

......
Hey so I just came out with a new finchel book called Secrets so please check it out.
Xoxoxo,
Natalie.