Part 17

It was hard to believe that physical training was finally coming to an end. It seemed to go by so quickly yet I felt as though I had learned so much in the short time span. Seemingly more than in all my years in Candor.

And today was the last day of fights, as Eric reminded me last night. I hadn't been able to get him nor the fights off my mind all morning but I did my best to focus on the fights. I could drool over Eric later.

There was no guarantee on who I would be fighting but there were good odds that I would be put up against someone ahead of me in rank. Meaning it would most likely be Deitrich, Frankfurt, Morsov, or Ryan across the mat from me today. All of them were bigger than I was but the only ones who could match my speed was Ryan and Morsov. Frankfurt and Deitrich relied more on brute strength but that worked fine for them since they were easily the two strongest transfers.

We were gathered around the sparring mats, waiting nervously for Eric and Four to appear. Rency shifted anxiously beside me and frequently adjusted her ponytail. She knew she had to win this fight if she wanted a shot at getting a decent job in Dauntless. I was just glad that she was pretty well above the red line and didn't stand much a chance at becoming factionless.

"Alright initiates!" Four's familiar voice called out, gaining our attention. "As you all know, today is your last fight. This fight will affect your rankings heavily but even if you go below the red line remember you have part two of training to raise it back up," Four explained.

Eric appeared a second later wearing his typical tight black vest and a serious expression. His eyes connected with mine for a split second but he offered no smile or kind gesture. I wasn't expecting one but couldn't help remembering how he'd touched my face yesterday. I wondered if I'd ever see that side of him again.

"The fights are up," Eric announced, gesturing to the board where a list of names appeared.

Ferris vrs. Frankfurt

Rency vrs. Adam

Samuel vrs. Raymond

Deitrich vrs. Morsov

Matius vrs. Ryan

Emer vrs. Lily

Lucille vrs. Freya

Instantly my gaze caught Frankfurt's. He glared back at me coldly.

Memories of punching him in the Pit and then smashing his head into the floor resurfaced.

At least he was someone I could hate.

Ryan made a worried glance at me at the sight of the fight list. "Hey Ferris," He said leaning in and I looked at him from the corner of my eye. "You got this."

Rency nodded. "Take him out," She encouraged coldly.

I only nodded once before stepping away from the group. All outside sounds and distractions melted away as I focused on one thing and one thing only.

Frankfurt.

I made my way to the center mat with slow, sure steps. My gaze fixed on Frankfurt all the while.

He was stronger, I had no doubt about that, and he almost matched me in speed as well. His fighting technique was raw and spontaneous, allowing for many gaps in his attacks that could use against him. He heavily protected his lower torso in fights which left his neck exposed. It would be considered a dirty shot but one I might have to resort to.

I was a step away from the mat when a strong hand caught my upper forearm. I looked up with surprise to see that it was Eric. I did my best to ignore the nervous tingles that followed his touch.

"Attack him high and look out for low jabs," Eric told me quietly.

"Got it," I replied with a curt nod but he still didn't let me go

"Don't forget to use that temper Candor," He added before finally letting go and walking away.

I replayed each of his words in my mind before taking the final step onto the sparring mat. I shook my hands to get the blood moving as I watched Frankfuft crack his meaty knuckles from across the mat.

Aim high. Protect low. Stay fast. And get angry.

I could do that.

"Begin!" Eric voice suddenly yelled and Frankfurt immediately sprang into action

This time instead of side stepping I met him head on in the tackle. I was lower than he was so I managed to stop him from running me over but that just allowed for him to fling me to the floor with frightful ease. I regained my feet only to be punched in the face, instantly making my head pound. I tried to recollect myself but he hit me again before I could get my hands up to deflect. Frankfurt then kicked me in the stomach, forcing me to the ground. Pain erupted from each place he hit and spread like wild fire.

Well this wasn't going well.

I desperately scrambled to my feet, my face pounding, and managed to narrowly block an incoming kick. The larger male didn't relent and continued to press an attack with kicks and punches that I just barely maneuvered around.

Obviously someone was still upset about the Pit incident.

Suddenly, I made the mistake of turning my back to him which allowed him to wrap his arms around my chest. I squirmed from his grip, causing his arms to lower to my torso where he attempted to heft me off the floor and throw me. I allowed him to lift me but raised my kegs into the air, making it look as if we were rehearsing for a scene in Dirty Dancing, before swiftly driving my legs back down. The action gave me the capability to rip out of his grip and send us sprawling in different directions.

I was breathing heavily and notably sweaty as I got back up. Half my body still aching but the pain was numbed by the adrenaline pumping though my veins. I huffed at the sight of Frankfurt's flushed face and sharp jawline.

He was fight smart. His moves were all calculated and he had yet to talk trash and set my temper off. But he was starting to tire.

Frankfurt charged again, obviously interested in getting me onto the floor. Rather thank meeting him head on, I did something very unexpected. As he tried to tackle, I feigned to the side and brought the brunt of my knee to his face. His nose collided with the hard part of my knee cap, crushing instantly.

The sound of bone meeting cartilage was not pleasant. Even over the blood pounding in my ears, I could hear the sudden exclamation from the surrounding crowd.

"OOOHF!"

Blood now flowed freely from Frankfurt's certainly broken nose. He backed away with a hand cupping his face.

I had no pity for him and pressed an attack with renewed determination. With his arm lifted, he'd left his lower torso exposed. I dug my fist into his stomach before elbowing him in the temple. He was already falling when I kicked him, with every ounce of power I had, directly in the center of his chest. Frankfurt collapsed to the ground, holding his face in agony.

He sputtered feebly on the floor as I took a few steps back and almost fell to the ground before a familiar redhead supported me. My limbs felt laden and heavy as fatigue set in. My face didn't feel so hot either but with all the adrenaline still pumping through my face, I could only register a dull throb.

I didn't get a chance to see any of the other fights before I was taken to the infirmary so someone could assess me for a possible concussion.

Before leaving, I caught a small glimpse of Eric who stood tall with his lip turned up in a smirk. He looked just the slightest bit proud and that made something in my chest swell.

I didn't even fully realize that I had won all three of my frights until the nurse asked me how I'd finished.