Part 8

For the next week or two so, we continued on a similar schedule as the first day. Workouts and sparring practice were still perfectly grueling but I could already feel myself improving by the soreness in my muscles.

When it came to Rankings, so far I was in 6th place. In first was Frankfurt, unfortunately, and then Deitrich at a close second. Matius was third and fourth was Morsov. Then it was Ryan at fifth. Raymond was sporting the sevenfh spot with Emer was ninth. Lily had taken the tenth slot and in eleventh was Rency. She was a little low in the rankings but still far from the red line.

Our next fights would be tomorrow. No one had a clue who we were fighting but it was needless to say that we were far more excited rather than nervous for this fight in comparison to first. Now that we all had a week of training under our belt we were ready to use it out on the mats.

In today's training, Four decided to go light so that we wouldn't all be desperately sore tomorrow. We were learning how to use throwing knives. So far I wasn't terrible but I was certainly no virtuoso.

At least I was doing better than Rency. None of her throws had even stuck to the dummy target and half of those throws didn't go anywhere near said target.

"I suck at this!" Rency groaned as another one of her knives bounced harmlessly against the target.

Frankfurts decidedly large nose decided to butt in.

"You know, theoretically, you should have gotten one of them to stick by now. Even if it was just by accident," Frankfurt said sarcastically from the side.

"Theoretically, I could mistake you for my dummy," I snapped back, pointing at him with my knife. I then flung said knife aggressively at the dummy board. It ended up being my best throw yet and was enough to shut the pest up. I smirked in satisfaction.

"Thanks," Rency whispered and I nodded respectfully.

I think I could consider Rency my best friend at this point. She was pretty cool and occasionally very funny. I liked her personality and upbeat attitude too. She reminded me of a more relaxed and less nerdy Leroy.

I threw another knife that embedded itself dully into the shoulder of the human sized dummy. My mouth twitched in agitation as I watched Matius easily fling his knife straight into the heart of the dummy board.

"You need to tighten your core," A deep. but familiar voice said right behind me. I had to stop myself from jumping in surprise before turning to meet Eric's stone gaze.

He took a step forward before placing his large hand on my abdomen. He must have felt me tense up at the sudden contact but I couldn't help it.

"Relax," He said and I took a deep breath to settle my nerves. Unfortunately it did little to slow my heart rate. I prayed he wouldn't be able to hear it thundering against my chest.

Eric gently pushed in on my stomach, making me stand taller. He then guided my arm to a better position for throwing.

I willed myself not to look at his lips and to stay focused as I started to feel dizzy. It was surprising that a man so intimidating, and with such power, could be so gentle.

"Now throw the knife," Eric ordered, taking his hand off my stomach and stepping away expectantly.

After a split second of hesitation, I let the knife loose. It thudded sharply up against the human sized target, hitting it straight between the eyes. Easily my best shot yet, even better than the one I landed after telling Frankfurt off. I smiled letting my posture relax.

"Not bad Candor," Eric said. "Maybe knife throwing could help you channel that temper."

"I dont have a-" I began defensively but stopped at the sight of his knowing expression. I pursed my lips in defeat.