Part 11

Today was our second day of fights and the fourteenth day of training.

There was a nervous buzz in the air as the initiates scrambled to eat something and get ready. A few still regarded me with cool recognition after yesterday's event but most seemed to be perfectly content with my actions. Frankfurt certainly wasn't the most liked initiate by any means and it seemed to be the general consensus that he went too far yesterday.

Besides, after my fight with Lily, everyone knew by now that "Ferris has a real temper" so it was kind of his fault for setting me off. I wasn't sure I liked being known as the temper tantrum type but if it kept people from bugging me, I'd take it.

After an uneventful breakfast, I left for the training room with Morsov and Matius. The workouts that day were noticeably less difficult. I wasn't soaked in sweat by the end, to my amazement, and my legs didn't even feel wobbly.

Once we finished the workouts, which I can only describe as being pleasantly docile, we headed to lunch. After words, the list of who would be fighting each other was on the wall of the training room. We stopped to stare at the fateful names.

Ryan vrs. Samuel

Lucille vrs. Rency

Ferris vrs. Matius

Adam vrs. Freya

Emer vrs. Raymond

Lily vrs. Deitrich

My dark brows furrowed at the sight.

"Lily v. Dietrich?" Rency whispered to me, sounding concerned.

"She's gonna get wasted," Matius whispered back.

I glanced at Deitrich, who was just out of ear shot. He looked equally puzzled and a bit apprehensive. I could understand his reaction. I didn't particularly enjoy Lily's presence and found her to be an annoying bitch but regardless, that fight just wasn't fair.

It was one thing for me, an almost equal in weight and strength girl, to beat her in a fight. The outcome could have gone either ways. But Dietrich would destroy her in seconds.

Morsov, on the other hand, looked slightly relieved that he was off the hook for fighting today since Frankfurt was in the infirmary. Courtesy of me.

And he just so happened to be the odd man out that wouldn't have to fight today. Lucky duck.

"At least our fight sort of makes sense," I noted and looked to Matius.

"Hallelujah," He said back quietly, briefly sizing me up. "Least your like, almost in my weight class. Sorta."

I was still a solid twenty-fivebpounds lighter than Matius but it was a closer weight difference than others.

Eric suddenly walked out in front of us, quickly catching our attention.

"As you may have already noticed, these fights aren't exactly fair. And that's the point," Eric began, "In a fight you can't choose your own opponent. You have to be ready for anything," Eric explained and I had to admit he had a point.

But still, some of these fights would be complete blowouts. Not to sound sour or anything but I wasn't totally confident that I would be able to win against Matius. The only reason I had bested Lily was because she'd pissed me off. I didn't have any reason to be mad at Matius.

He was my friend.

"Alright, first up. Ryan against Samuel," Four said and the two blonde boys stepped out onto the sparring mat. Samuel put up his long hair into a bun while glaring at Ryan from across the mat.