Prolouge - The First Few Years

January 30th, 1997

~Mr. Hidey walks back and forth outside the hospital room. Five steps forward, turn on heel, five steps back. Five steps forward, turn on heel, five steps back. He continues to do this, hearing muffled yells and moans of agony just behind the door. In any other circumstance, those sounds would frighten him, but in this case, he is not frightened over this. It is the mere thought, that in less than a few seconds, he will be a father, and that is the most scary thing he has ever faced.

The door suddenly opens to reveal his beaming mother. "You have yourself a little boy." she says excitedly, moving out of the way so he can see his son for the first time. He quickly rushes over to his wife's hospital bed. She is holding a bundle in her arms, stroking something lightly with her index finger. She looks up tiredly but illuminates with excitement.

"Look at that smile." the nurses coo. "Barely even cried."

Mr. Hidey takes his son in his hands, letting out a quick shudder. He looks at his sons face and smiles shakily. The baby's face contorts ever so slightly and he lets out the tiniest whimper. "You're so beautiful." Mr. Hidey whispers. He looks into his sons now open eyes, shining a bright green, and sees what could be mistaken as simple happiness. But his father sees pride in his son's eyes, as if he could understand that his father just gave him a compliment. Mr Hidey feels pride too, this is his son. "Welcome to the world, Connor."

March 6th, 1998

~Connor holds himself up, his hands tightly grasping the faux mahogany coffee table for support. Mr and Mrs. Hidey look on proudly, encouraging him with soft words "You can do it, Connor." "Look at you go!" they say in awe. Connor, although he has spoken his first words already, is still learning to walk. Mr. Hidey holds his arms out, a few mere inches away. Connor smiles excitedly, just like his parents. Goosebumps rise on Mrs. Hidey's arms, so Connors arms break out with them too. He can feel giddiness inside of him. His undeveloped brain does not comprehend that this is what he is experiencing, but he feels it nonetheless. He grabs onto his fathers hand and his mother claps happily.

Connor is so happy, and he has not the slightest idea why. His father stands with him, flying him around like an airplane. His father chuckles, so does Connor. "Zoooom!" Mr. Hidey exclaims "Taking off for liftoff." he rumbles in a low voice. Connor giggles happily.

"Oh, Jeremy, do be careful with him." Mrs. Hidey says worriedly.

Connor can feel the changes inside of him. His heart quickens the slightest bit, his eyebrows scrunching into worry. Just like his mother. He whimpers scared, and his mother takes him in her arms. "You made him nervous, Dannie." Mr. Hidey says, irritatedly. "I bet he can sense your tenseness."

"I don't think he can do that, Jeremy." she shakes her head "You're father makes me nervous, Connor." she says in a baby voice, relieving him slightly. He giggles nervously, feeling more relieved.

Mr. Hidey shakes his head, deciding to give up the fight. "I'm going to start on lunch." and he walks to the kitchen. He is now out of range, and Connor feels relieved even further.

September 11, 2001

~Connor bursts into blood curdling screams. He is still in bed, kicking off his sheets wildly. In the next room, Mr. and Mrs. Hidey are watching the news on the television. A plane just flew into the World Trade Center. They are terrified and heartbroken. Mr. Hidey rushes into the room, scooping up four year old Connor and shushing him soothingly. Mr. Hidey has tearstained cheeks and bloodshot eyes. This tragedy has effected the world, including the Hidey's. No matter how much Mr. Hidey pats his back, Connor hanging onto his father for dear life, he refuses to relax. His body can still sense the heartbroken feelings his father experiences. Mr. Hidey takes deep breaths, realizing that his son can notice how sad he is. He knows he has to relax, for the sake of his son atleast. Soon enough, Connor is fast asleep in his fathers arms. Mr. Hidey has a rush of relief, knowing that his son is now more peaceful.

Mr. Hidey slowly rocks his son in his arms, the motion relaxing him as well. Five minutes later however, Mrs. Hidey silently sticks her head in the door. Her face is still blotched, tears refusing to leave her. "They've hit the second tower." Connor's eyes blink open wide, and everything happens over again. The screaming, his heartbeat going quicker with fear and heartbreak. "What's wrong with him?" Mrs. Hidey asks with wide eyes. "Why is he screaming like that?"

"Daddy! Mommy! I'm so sc-scared!" Connor yells in a terrified voice.  He clutches his fathers neck with his arms, burying his face in the crook of his neck.

"Okay. Dannie, you have to calm down." Mr. Hidey says. He had noticed the immediate reaction Connor expereinced as soon as his mother announced that the second tower had been hit.

"Me calm down? Connor is the one freaking out! You need to calm him down, not me. Did you even hear what I said? How are you so calm about this? My brother was in that tower, and now he is dead!" It was true. Mrs. Hidey's brother worked on the sixty fifth floor. He was most likely gone by now.

"Darling, I know how hard this is for you, but our son, he, he can sense your fear. I know that sounds insane, but just try to calm down and you'll see." He rubs his son's back soothingly, speaking softly in his ear. Mrs. Hidey closed her eyes, still not believing her husband, but still taking deep breaths, trying to calm her racing heart.

Mr. Hidey felt his son start to calm a little, relaxing under his arms. Mrs. Hidey stared in slight awe, seeing for herself that her husband was right. "This is crazy." she says. Almost all the heart wrenching feelings she had previously were dissipating, and with them, were the feelings that were effecting Connor. Though the world was falling apart around them, the Hidey's cracked a smile at the wonder in front of their eyes. It only took them four years to notice the gift their son had. But  soon enough, they would realize that this was anything but a gift.

*               *                 *

WOO! I'm very excited for this story. Not sure when the first chapter will be up, but it will be soon I promise. So this story is quite different than anything I thought of. The idea basically smacked  me in the face and I was like. AWW HECK YES! so I hope you guys are as excited about it as I am. Dedication to SameMistakexx for making the cover, I think it's pretty awesome, don't you? So anyways, have yourselves a fantastic day! Love you all.