And so it begins...

Back to the future... (no pun intended)

***

The sky grew darker as I entered the city. It appeared as if the entire storm cell was swirling around the tall building in Silver City, the city council building. It was obvious that Vortex was trying to get my attention. If he was trying to be discreet, there wouldn't be any clouds in the sky. And he must have known what he was doing by choosing the city council building, I can't fly, which means an exhausting walk up 75 flights of stairs. Then again, I've been fighting Vortex since I was nine; he never makes things easy for me.

A broken elevator, and 75 flights of stairs later, I'm on the roof. I instantly make eye contact with Vortex. I can never really tell if he's looking back at me, since the lenses in his mask hide his eyes and their color. His mask is a simple black one that effectively conceals his identity, but you can still see that he has brown hair. The rest of his suit is plain black spandex with a yellow V on the chest. The V obviously stands for Vortex, because what kind of egotistical supervillain doesn't parade around with their name on their chest.

"Where's your sidekick?" He asks, referencing Brianna. His voice has a slight mechanic lilt to it since he uses a voice changer.

"Shooting Star is not my sidekick." I quip.

"Could have fooled me." He responds, and I glare at him. "You always seem to need her speed to beat me."

"I'm assuming that you're not counting the last three times we fought." I remind him.

"Don't forget all the times I beat you before that." He points out. I cringe recalling the last time I took a lightning bolt to the face.

"If you had truly beaten me, I would be dead." I reply, relishing my decent comeback.

"Are you here to fight me?" He asks.

"Why else would I be here?" I scoff.

"You haven't made an attempt to fight me yet." He states.

I roll my eyes, "You haven't revealed your master plan."

"I'm here to end our rivalry, right here, right now." He says, shooting a bolt of lightning at me.

I dodge it, and begin taking count of useful items on the roof. A rope, some bricks left over from its construction, a flower pot, a few wooden boards, and some solar panels. Not ideal, but a decent inventory to work with.

The wind starts to pick up. A trick that Vortex usually pulls when lightning fails. With a flick of my wrist, I use my mind to knock him off his feet, the exact same thing he had been trying to do with me. Before hitting the ground, Vortex morphed into electricity, and traveled into the nearest telephone wires. A few seconds later my hair stood on end as he reformed behind me. I react by spinning around, and aiming at kick at his legs. Vortex is much better at combat than I am, so my main object in a fight is to keep him on the ground, or keep my distance from him. Preferably the later of the two.

I land the kick, but Vortex isn't fazed by the attack. So I throw a punch at him before he can make a counterattack. Sadly, he catches my fist in midair. I'm momentarily frozen in pain as electricity travels from him to me. As the reality of the situation sinks in, I twist my hand of of his grip, and retreat out of his electric field.

I needed to think. This fight, I was going about it in the wrong way. Fighting is not my strength, to win I would have to rely solely on telekinesis. Any other strategy would result in my defeat, and I have lost to Vortex before. I've been fight Vortex since I was nine, and though I doubt that he would kill, I won't test it.