Chapter 36: Train Hard, Grasshopper

???

Somewhere in the world, the sun slowly crawled up the sky, basking a mountainous region filled with sprawling rocky mountains, hills, and thousands of calamitous monsters constantly fighting for supremacy and survival. Strangely, these monsters as if by tacit agreement kept a wide berth around a certain hill punctured by numerous tunnels on its sides that made it resemble a beehive. It wasn't the largest in the vicinity, nor was it overly imposing. In fact, it was quite small compared to the other mountains in the area, but something about it evoked an awe in the monsters that caused them to keep a respectful distance, even when fleeing for their lives from predators.

Shockingly, a red-haired figure stumbled out from one of the numerous tunnels, cutting a seriously disheveled form. It seemed he once wore armor, but it had been smashed into numerous pieces, leaving only a small breastplate which was used to protect his heart. Blood and pus oozed out from cuts so deep, the white of his bones could be seen. His once magnificent ax had shattered to pieces, leaving only the shaft to which he fastened massive bone claws and teeth to form a makeshift spiked mace.

Hektor grimaced as a massive red dragon landed on the hill, eyes peering silently as his sorry state. It raised a claw and tapped his forehead, causing him to faint as he recalled the beginning of this nightmare.

***

Five Days Earlier,

After dropping Zuri off, Hektor was forced to resist the urge to throw up as Rider's dragon swiftly sped through the sky, easily smashing through the sound barrier. If it wasn't for Rider erecting a barrier to block the incoming wind, the young man would have easily been blown off. Thankfully, after the initial burst of acceleration, the dragon flew at a quick, but steady pace allowing the young man's body to settle.

The whole time they traveled, neither Hektor nor Rider spoke a word, the two preoccupied in their thoughts. At least until the dragon descended below the clouds, allowing Hektor to view a massive body of water that seemed to have no end despite how fast they were going. Hektor's eyes widened in shock as he stared at the body of water with wide eyes. As far as he knew, there was no body of water this large in the entirety of Destia.

Which left only one option...

Hektor swallowed a huge spittle as he realized the terrifying truth. This was the Forever Sea! They were flying over the Forever Sea!!! A conjecture further strengthened as they passed over numerous islands, some small, others almost half the size of Rosendun.

Hektor turned to Rider, whose gaze remained fixed on the horizon without a single change to his expression. It was clear that this was a normal occurrence to the immortal. Hektor once again swallowed hard, trying to mentally gauge how strong this man must be in order to be able to easily cross the Forever Sea with such leisure.

All questions remained stuck in Hektor's throat, however, as Rider announced, "We're here."

Hektor turned his gaze to a rapidly approaching island filled with numerous mountains and hills, with a number of monsters he was sure could use his bones as toothpicks. "...Where is here?"

"Drake's Grotto," said Rider, a slight smile on his face. "Skyrm once banished Razznik here to train before their final fight. Aren't you pleased? You'll get to undergo the same training regimen as the one who grew to become the Destroyer."

Hektor could not hide the excited gleam in his eyes. Who was the Destroyer? This was a mere mortal who trained until he got powers sufficient to challenge and usurp the gods. Though no one would openly admit it, many warriors admired the madman's prowess and used him as a yardstick to motivate themselves when things seemed tough.