Chapter 1: Flaming Judges

Fire, the eternal judge of all things living and otherwise. It giveth and taketh life and death in equal measures with neither ceremony nor grace. A natural force man and beast can try to, but never tame.

Razznik listened to the crackling of burning wood as another building collapsed to the flaming maelstrom. The air choked from burning flesh and angry plumes of smoke that escaped each building. All over, panicked screams rang out from men, women and children alike as they succumbed to the intolerant judge, their blackened corpses crushed underfoot as Razznik passed through the town.

The yet-to-be Demon King holstered his blade as he scanned the city for traces of survivors. He picked up a few around the town. Razznik calmly made his way to the nearest signal, the untameable judge clearing a path for one it deemed its superior to pass.

Razznik stopped at the foot of a tree where a wisben lay trapped beneath its large, fallen branches. The man looked up to his potential rescuer, eyes wide with elated relief. "P-please, help get this off," he pleaded. "Think me arm's broken."

Razznik's measured gaze peered through his mask at the man. "Your death has been ordered. Plead not to me, but to the goddess Aerith whom you offended."

The wisben's countenance suddenly changed as he realized who his executioner was. Brows furrowed, and teeth snarled, he pounded against the branch with renewed rage. Realizing his efforts were futile, he glared at Razznik. "You Shcku-" A sword through his head stopped the swear midway.

Razznik retrieved the broadsword, and holstered it without bothering to wipe off the blood. He patrolled the burning town, making short work of any survivors he came across. Eventually, he stopped in front of a building from which the last two life signals came.

To his surprise, the flames seemed to avoid the stone house, almost like they were afraid of something inside.

Razznik eyes flashed as he examined the building's protective ward. High-Level. It would appear a mage resides here. "Show yourself," Razznik ordered, voice as cold as ice. When nobody responded, he raised his hand, then clenched his fist.

The protective ward shattered, and flames encroached hungrily on their new prey.

Razznik waited patiently as flares consumed the building. Minutes later, two figures rushed out of the building, and threw themselves to the earth as the building exploded. Debris showered the immediate surrounding but shattered against wards before they reached the swordsman.

The ensuing dust settled. Razznik eyes flashed as he spotted the culprits rush to their feet. "Do not attempt escape," he warned. "Your death. I will make it slow and painful."

The reputation of Razznik Y'Terlow preceded him far and wide across the continent. The culprits froze in their tracks, the bigger one poised in front of the smaller like a protective shield.

Razznik watched the young kafu (fox-man) protect who he guessed to be his younger sibling. The older one's orange fur was darkened from soot and smoke, but the younger's fur was eerily bright white. Almost like flames and soot had avoided him altogether.

Razznik glared at the cubs. Neither should be here. At their age they should either have been at the training forts in Zakrand, or schools in the capital. "Where's the mage who cast that ward?"

The older kept his glare steady. Intriguingly, rather than fear, he seemed to be calmly assessing the situation in other to grasp a means of escape. Razznik had to admit he was slightly impressed. "Why should we tell you anything? You will kill us regardless, no?"