Chapter 8: Shifting Priorities

Five Days Since Kashi's Capture,

70 Kilometers South Of DarrenHold.

"Line up men!" Asha screamed. In response to her shout, Asha's soldiers formed three lines. Mages and musicians made up the back line. The front line consisted of her toughest brawlers, while the middle line was made up of a mixture of brawlers and archers.

The Chetah commander was flanked on either side by Diatte and Kaga. Ahead of them, Hektor was poised with a double headed ax balanced carelessly on his shoulder. All eyes were on the horizon, muscles tensed from the anticipation.

Lunette dismounted a few feet from the back line. She ran up to the triplets, who shot appreciative glances her way. Of the orchestra, they were the only ones she had allowed to accompany them on their quest. A larger company meant slower progress, plus someone had to keep the performances going.

Lunette returned the smile, then jogged up to the front where Asha nodded. "They will not be helping us," Lunette confirmed.

Something resembling disappointment seemed to cross the Chetah's face. But it was gone almost instantaneously. "No matter," Asha said. "We have been taking care of ourselves for a very long time."

Lunette smiled. "I never did thank you. You have no obligation to risk your lives like this. I truly am gra-"

"Stop," Asha interrupted. "Like I said earlier, this is to return the blood debt I owe the daeben." A moment's pause and she reluctantly added, "I am loathe to admit, but it is a big help that you are here too."

Lunette nodded. "Good luck," she said, then joined the triplets at the back line.

"I don't need luck," Asha muttered. She gripped her blade handles as a movement in the horizon caught her eyes.

Shadow atop a dark horse rode hard past Hektor, whose grin widened at his warning cry. "Two minutes!"

Though the warrior still could not see his adversary, his belligerent war cry shook the earth. Hektor charged forward at full sprint, hollering madly at his would-be prey. Galvanized by the human's bravery, Asha's men banged swords against shields, then started a charge of their own.

Behind them, Diegel's drums pumped the atmosphere. Blood rushed like geysers through their systems. Their cries resembled thunderclaps, their feet the heralds of an earthquake. But above it all, a single voice reigned supreme. All things living and otherwise found themselves trapped under the spell of the most dangerous songstress in all of Destia.

A hundred yards away from where this desperate battle for survival was about to take place, Kira watched over three sleeping companions. She could not help but wonder about how it was the world worked. During the entire time the trio were awake, they had not faced any considerable threat. Now they were asleep, and suddenly the party fell under its heaviest challenge to date.

Kira shook her head as she lay down next to Jade. Only figured that the coalition's strongest forces all take the day off on their worst crisis.

***

Present Time

Second Under

"Welcome to Second Under, Champion of the gods."

If Kashi heard the odd phrasing, he did not show it. His mind was entirely focused on the dwarven city below him. He thought he'd caught a glimpse while crossing the bridge but it turned out what he'd seen was far from the real deal.

The dwarven houses carved out of the earth itself held a certain charm that could not be described. Sure Kerta and Riven had ornate designs, and eye catching colors, but there was a certain rawness to the close-knitted chaos, that he could not place a finger on.