Chapter 10: Assassin's Creed

Lunette shut her eyes, and barely managed to stifle a yelp as the ghoul's blade struck. A second passed, then two. She tentatively opened her eyes when she realized the pain was not forthcoming. She nearly screamed for the second time, but this time the ghoul, whose face was barely inches from hers clamped her mouth shut with its dead hand.

The other ghoul stood behind it. It raised a finger to its lips (well, where its lips would have been. Its entire face was bandaged.) It then gestured at her.

Lunette followed its line of sight to her hands. Which were free!? Her brows drew together in confusion. "What are you doing?" To her abject horror, and shock, the ghoul at the back replied.

"That's cold," it said with oddly familiar snarkiness. "You don't recognize your own brother?"

"What!?"

"<Release>" The ghoul snapped its fingers. Instantly both it and the one crouched in front of the songstress were enveloped in blue light.

Lunette's eyes widened in shock as the light dimmed. She tackled her brother with the tightest hug she'd ever given in her entire life. Tears streamed down and her body shook with pure relief. Worst part about getting captured was not knowing how Shadow was. Now he was right there. She never planned on letting go.

Shadow, for his part, felt like someone had lifted a huge load off his shoulders. Watching his sister get abused by that man had been the hardest thing he had ever done. But now it was over. He had her. He was never letting her do something as dangerous ever again.

Syèl's exaggerated cough drew their attention. "What, the elf doesn't get any love? That's racist."

Lunette laughed freely. She beckoned him over. "Come on, you can join in."

Syèl smiled but politely refused. "No thank you. I don't do mushy scenes. But you guys need to wrap yours up quick." He peered outside the cell into the musty, poorly lit hallway. "It's only a matter of time before someone walks by."

Lunette shook her head as she released her brother. She wiped her tears, steely determination returning to her eyes. "No. I'm staying."

"Wha!?" Both Syèl and Shadow exclaimed.

"You daft!?" Syèl reprimanded in a forced whisper. "It wasn't easy getting this chance. We gotta go now."

"No, I can't."

A shadow crossed the wisben's face. For a moment, Syèl's eyes held both fear and burning rage. The fear was gone in a flash, but the rage remained. "Are you crazy? A second ago, you thought we were going to kill you. Next time you might not be so lucky!"

Lunette frowned. "I can handle myself just fine."

"Everybody thinks they can." There was something in Syèl's voice. A hollowness she'd never felt from him before. "Until they can't." He moved to grab her, but Shadow rose to his feet and blocked his path.

"Relax." Shadow's tone was cold. Syèl grunted, but retreated a few steps regardless out of respect. "Sis," Shadow called, a wary eye still on the wisben. He knew if it came down to a fight, he stood little chance. "If it's about Kashi, you don't need to worry. Kira's gone to get him."

Lunette's eyes widened. "You're sure of that? He's fine? Unharmed.?"

"He's alive." Syèl shrugged. "The wolf went to get him. There's not a lot that can stop her. If he wasn't fine before, he'll definitely be now."

Lunette nodded, a small smile revealing her relief. However... "That's good to know. But this is more than just about Kashi. I overheard their leader talking. He is expecting some high ranking official soon. I want to be there when he does. We won't get a better chance to get a glimpse into how these people operate."