Chapter 31: A Meet Cute

Eric gripped both sides of his head, hoping to hells that his brain wouldn't explode. It'd been growing worse, the pain. Any time his thoughts strayed to Maverick or Laina, or even Samson or Abigail, the sharp pain would slice through his consciousness. 

Samson noticed - Eric could tell - but said nothing. Eric could feel Samson's eye on him as they marched, when they stopped to make camp, or when Samson though Eric didn't notice. The Commander hadn't told his Second what was happening, but Eric could sense Samson's worry.

"I'm fine," he said through gritted teeth as they looked over a map.

"I didn't say anything," Samson said, his tone low so no one would hear.

"You keep staring."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I'll stop." Samson cleared his throat and pointed to their location. "With this route, we'll skip Groschen all together and head right to the Pass. Are you sure you don't want to pass through the town?"

"There's no passing through. If we go, we have to stop. If we stop, we won't be able to catch up with Tyrella's son."

"She's recovering, by the way." Samson's brows arched. "But she's not saying what happened."

"I know what happened," Eric grumbled. "She's trying to keep from facing Bainon. She now knows her son isn't the only heir and will likely be killed by Queen Narissa."

"She probably would have killed him with or without you being the heir," Samson mused, rolling up the map.

"Not if she wanted to avoid the uprising of another royal family. You know the rules - one family dies out and another is selected by the ancient right to rule. It would just pass to the next worthy family." 

"The shortcut it is then?" Samson asked, standing at attention now that the maps were stored.

"The shortcut. Let's get a move on - we're losing time."

Phoenix, Roman, and Noelle moved quickly, reaching Groschen in just under a week after their accident. It'd been a rather uneventful journey. Phoenix had kept from being alone with Roman, made easier after she told Noelle what had happened in the moments before she woke up when they washed in a stream halfway to the town.

"He didn't," Noelle said, mouth gaping open. "He leaned in to kiss you?"

"Well, I don't know if that's what he intended, but there was definitely some leaning."

Noelle shook her head, smirking. "I knew it. I knew he was attracted to you."

"He doesn't even know me."

Noelle rolled her eyes. "Yes, and you have to know everything about someone before you want to kiss them. Come on, Phoenix. He's a man. Men aren't really all that emotional."

"How do you know so much when you literally hadn't been outside in years."

"I told you, I read." Noelle shrugged. "Besides, it's pretty obvious. He's always looking at you with that cow-eyed expression. I think it's because you're so unique."

Phoenix glanced down at her bare arms. It'd been ages since they'd last bathed, and she and Noelle had leapt at the chance to wash in the stream. Phoenix had heated the icy water as they entered - it didn't change much, but it made it bearable. 

Noelle frowned. "Have you never thought of someone that way? Really? You've never been interested in any sort of romantic relationship?"

"Romantic?" Phoenix pursed her lips. "No, not really. I mean, there are men I've found attractive, but I've never daydreamed about kissing them or anything." She thought of Samson. He'd always been the most handsome of her acquaintances - tall, strong, and not one to sneer at her oddities.