Chapter 5

I've been working for Paul for months now and it hasn't been as bad as I expected it to be. I also moved into my own place which wasn't my exact idea of an apartment. Waiting tables was never my idea of work but when you've been a housewife for 10 years, you take whatever comes, even if it's terrible.
Tonight I was helping Paul lock up the restaurant because we had a busy night, he doesn't hate me as much as he used to.
"Thanks for your help Z. I love it when my customers don't finish the good wine," he said, picking up a wine bottle from the last table we were clearing, "I'm sure you miss wine."
"You have no idea, now I'm stuck drinking cheap wine out of a teacup but at least I paid for it with my hard earned money. I still can't afford a decent wine glass and unwinding with pizza, wine and a movie is a real splurge for me," I said out loud and somehow I felt so proud of my achievements.
"I don't know how you do it," he said pouring the wine in a glass then passing it to me.
"Thanks," I said accepting the goblet.
"How did you manage to give everything up after spending so much time with your husband?"
"It wasn't easy hey but I didn't work for a single thing in that house, I might have helped him with a lot of things but the money is all his and we had a prenup which kept me from the money. I was lucky he let me out with the things I owned."
"Were you even happy with him?"
"In the beginning everything was perfect but he got tired of me after a while. I just wasn't smart enough to transfer small amounts of his money into a private bank account. Honestly, I wasn't happy, he was never home and he never had time for me. I wish we had children. Enough about me, tell me about you."
"What do you wanna know?"
"Why aren't you married?"
"So are you playing my mum's advocate?" he chuckled, "I can't give my mum what she wants and I can't explain it to her because she won't understand. I dated a girl for 5 years and she got pregnant but we didn't keep the baby, I hated myself after that so I made a vow to God. I promised that I wouldn't get under the sheets with another woman until I put a ring on her finger but I still haven't brought myself to love another woman like I loved Amy but she wanted nothing to do with me after I forced her to have an abortion. If I can't have her, I don't want anyone else."
Paul and I spoke for hours about our pasts and our aspirations. He was a really nice guy and he deserved to be happy so I made a silent vow to track down Amy and help them get together. If she's married then I won't won't tell Paul but if she isn't then I have to get them together. It's the least I can do for him after everything he and his mother did for me when I was going through my divorce.

I promise it's almost over, just keep going. ♥