¥17

Troye's POV

As days went on, everyone was cleaning out the diner.

Bernardo was actually putting the diner up for market.

I went with Dustin to go take down some pictures.

Brody couldn't stand being in there. So I did it for him.

"Man, I'm really gonna miss this place." Dustin says. "Hey hey, no tears. Remember what we talked about and our big surprise. Did you tell Troye the plan?" Bernardo comes out of the kitchen carrying a box.

"Yeah I did. But still, we had some good memories here. Like that one time that girl slipped on a milkshake and I laughed so hard, I slipped too and then Brody laughed so hard he slipped and it was just the three of us on the floor dying of laughter. And it's where we all started dancing with people we didn't even know. And this was where Troye and Brody met." Brody says.

"I know it's hard but I have to go back." He says.

"But why though?" I ask. He stopped at his tracks.

Then he turns back around to us. "Vamonos (let's move on), come sit."

He walked over to a booth and we followed.

Dustin and I sat on one side and he sat on the other.

"Boys, I'm going to tell you something but you have to promise you can't tell mi nieto (my grandson)." He says.

"Yeah sure."

"We promise."

Bernardo takes a deep breath. "I have cancer. I am getting enfermos (sick) and it's taking over my body. I'm going back there because... it's where I want to...you know."

"You have to tell Brody." I said.

"I can't. It'll kill him."

"Holding it back isn't going to help. If you just leave without him knowing, he'll be devastated." I said.

"Brody doesn't know?" Dustin asks.

"No. I found out last month. I don't have that much time to live. I spent most of my life here, in a new place with my favorite grandson. But Méjico is our home. And I have to see my other family. My daughter and all my other grand babies." He says.

"Abuelo..." Dustin started, tears in his eyes.

"Please, Dustin, don't cry. You cannot cry. You're smart, you should know I'm not gonna be around for long." Bernardo told him.

Dustin wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "You know I've always thought of you as my grandson. And don't ever forget that." He says.

Dustin nods. I rubbed his back.

"And Troye," I turned to him. "Take care of mi nieto for me. You're special to him. We haven't known each other for so long but I know you're a good person. I'll be sad to see that day when you're officially my grandson in law." He told me.

"Don't say that." Dustin says. He started to cry more. I've never seen Dustin cry. He was always laughing or being funny.

"It's hard to say but it's true." Bernardo says. Dustin shook his head.

"Watch over Brody for me. Please. Out of all my grandchildren, he's my favorite and he's taking good paths. He's the only one taking good paths and I need him to stay that way." He told us.

Both of us nod.

Bernardo soon gets up and started to finish packing up the place. Dustin dropped his head on the table, crying even more.