Chapter 7

Xayn

You know sometimes I think that we could've had the world. 

We could live like a Lana Del Rey music video. In black and white, on the west coast, rolling in an old mustang down the highway. Crossing the boundaries of reality, even for a moment. To find ourselves between the twilight of heat and sunset.

So, now that I'm thinking about that. Sitting here, sipping hot and steaming tea, with nicotine on my lips. Trying to figure out exactly what these girls know, what these girls see in me, I can't stop myself from thinking about her. The way she moves in the sun. It makes me feel so inferior, the way she's right in front of me, but at the same time, she's so incredibly far away from me. 

Her brown hair blowing in the blue wind, her laughter filling up the ocean on a white sailboat on a sunny day. She's wearing a white lace crop top, black leggings, those cute black studded stilettos she said she got on a whim. That cotton candy perfume, it would flirt with my nose.

And that's what I like to think about when I'm thinking about her. 

"Xayn, we need to talk." I heard her voice from behind me.

I turned around to see her. In a purple sun dress, curly hair. Smoky eyes and a stark and angry look on her olive polished profile.

I flicked the ashes of the bud. "Yeah?"

I heard her heels on the wood floorboards of the patio make their way towards me. She took a seat opposite of me. 

"What you did back at the office that was-"

"The truth," I stated.

She guffawed. "The hell?" 

I smiled cold, "You're pissed because what I said was the truth. It wasn't a lie, it wasn't sugarcoated it was raw. You knew that."

She shook her head in dissonance. "Xayn, we're practically brother and sister."

I shook my head. "Don't cop me that bullshit, Dalila. We all know that we never acted like that. You know, for a fact, that there wasn't a damn moment in time that we didn't see each other as nothing more than familiar strangers."

She sighed, and looked down at the patio. When she did that, I could really see what she was trying to hide. It was in the way she cuffed her neck, she was hiding it.

The attraction, right there in her lungs.

"I'm asking you ... not as a sister, but as a fucking human being, to cut it out. Xayn, there is nothing going on here. Nothing." She looked me deep in the eyes.

I looked at her with compassion. I smothered my cigarette and took it all in. The funny thing was, she knew, and I knew, exactly what was here, she knew all that was going on here.

If this was nothing. Nothing had a lot going on.

I smiled, "Okay, it's nothing."

She smiled, "Great."

She got up and I got up. As she walked past me to leave, I grabbed her elbow and pulled her close, and our lips touched for only a few moments.

I pulled away. Her eyes darting around my face as if they weren't focused.

"Think about it," I whispered.

She gulped silently, pulling her hair behind her ear, before walking away. 

My god what did I just do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yo, I decided that I might start this story up again, it's been two years but I think I'm gonna keep going with it. Stay tuned.