Chapter 14

Maggie's POV:

"Amber, I'm home!" I called into the house as I stepped inside, taking off my jacket throwing it to the side along with my bag. No answer. "Amber?" I called again. Still, no answer. She must be out, I decided but I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. I took slow steps deeper into the dimly lit house, cautious about what laid waiting. "Tic toc, Maggie. Time is running out," a familiar voice echoed through the house, sending a cold shiver down my spine. My whole body started to shake as I took a few more slow steps towards the living room, freezing inside the arch that separate it from the hall. There he stood. My father. With his arms folded over his chest and a menacing smile on his lips. On each side of him were the people I loved, my mother and Amber. The thing that made me froze was the fact that Amber stood with a knife impaled into her chest and my mother had a bullet wound in her head, both with the same menacing smile. How could they be alive? It wasn’t possible. "See what you did, Maggie," my father scolded as he shook his head, gesturing to the two women at his side. "You killed them." I began to shake my head, squeezing my eyes shut and biting into my lower lip, refusing to cry. "No," I choked out. "I don't know why I saved you. I mean, it's such a waste, if you look at it," my mother sneered, taking slow strides toward me. "I knew I should've left while I had a chance. After all, everyone ends up dead around you. It was only a matter of time before I paid for your stupid mistakes," my sister snapped, joining my mother's side. "No," I choked out again, crumbling to the floor and covering my ears as I tried to block out their words. "The truth hurts, doesn't it?" My mother said, towering over me with Amber at her side. "It's all your fault!" It was as if those words continued to echo around me, sounding as if hundreds of voices spoke the same four words over and over. "No!" I cried out, louder this time, clutching onto my ears to no avail. "Please! Stop!" I called over the voices but it was no use. "Do you want to scream, Maggie?" I looked up at my father who towered over me, my mother and Amber nowhere to be seen. Something was building up inside of my chest, burning, demanding to be known. I couldn't breathe. My chest felt tight. "Then scream…" And so I did.

My eyes flew open at once, my heart pounding against my rib cage. The scream that bounced off the walls couldn't possibly be mine, it couldn't possibly be human. It was blood-curdling, so loud that it could wake the dead. I could hear the sound of glass shattering around me and it felt as if the room itself shook but I couldn't bring myself to stop as I clutched onto the covers. The sweat dripped from my forehead and I was shaking from the inside but I continued to emit the ear-piercing scream. I felt arms wrap around me, but all I could imagine was my father trying to harm me, so I started to struggle against their grip. He won't take me! It wasn't going to end this way! I heard someone yell out my name over the screams but I couldn't register it. I wasn't going to die! I will fight until my last breath! "MAGGIE!" The familiar voice finally broke my thoughts. My screams broke down into violent sobs as I clutched onto Max, too afraid to let go. My eyes were squeezed shut, afraid that if I open them, I would see my mother and Amber again. This was it. This is what it feels like to be completely broken...

I didn't know how long I cried, how long it took me to calm down, but it felt like forever. My throat was sore and my eyes were probably bloodshot from all the tears but as I pulled away from Max and looked around the room, that was the least of my worries. The windows on my left side were shattered, broken glass lying sprawled across the floor, along with the glass from the bedside lamp and the globe of the ceiling lamp sent a few sparks flying before it went out. Did I do all of this? I glanced over at Max who was also looking around the room shocked, before he turned to look at me, my bloodshot eyes locking with his. "What's happening to me?" I chocked out, my voice cracking at the end. Max glanced at his family, that I now saw were all standing by the door, before turning back to me. "Maggie, there's something you need to know."

All I could do was stare blankly in front of me as I took in the new information. This didn’t make any sense but at the same time, it explained everything. It was all him. All of this was his fault! I couldn't explain the anger and hatred I felt towards him at that moment. All this time, all those agonizing days and nights where the voice kept bringing me to believe my father's lies and those horror-filled nightmares, were all his fault. Everything. The bullies, the voice, the loss, all the pain in my life. How could one man be that cruel? It was hard to explain what I was feeling. Angry? Confused? Scared? Maybe all of the above. "I know it's a lot to take in," Max's mother said, breaking the silence that had fallen over the room. "Everything I knew about my family, everything I believed…it was all a lie," I said, not being able to bring my voice above a whisper. Phoebe, who sat next to me, wrapped her arm around my shoulders in a side hug in an attempt to comfort me but there was nothing anyone could do to make me feel better. I just found out that I actually knew nothing about my family, about my father. It felt as if my whole life had been one big lie and no one had the need to tell me about any of it. I had to find out through a family I hadn't even known a month. What else were they keeping from me then? "But there's something else," Mr Thunderman stated carefully. My eyes shifted from the wall in front of me to look at him. "It seems that your powers have surfaced." My eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "What are you talking about? I don't have any power!" They all shared glances, seeming to be having a silent conversation I couldn't understand. "Right?!" My voice came out louder than I would've liked, sounding more like I was pleading than asking an actual question. I didn't want to be like my father! I wasn't going to become the monster that he is! "Maggie, if your mother didn't have powers, one of three things could happen. You could so signs of your powers right after you were born, you don't inherit any powers or, in this case, your powers surface at a later age," Mr Thunderman explained, making my breath hitch in my throat. It wasn’t possible, was it? I couldn't have powers. I'm just a normal teenage girl with a psychotic father that was determined to make my life a living hell. Even as I said it to myself in my head, I knew it was a lie. Nothing about my life was normal and now I knew why. This family had opened my eyes. I took in a deep breath as I glanced down at the floor. "I'm scared," I choked out, speaking the truth about how I felt about all of this. Actually, that was an understatement because I was terrified. Max took my hand in his and gave it a small squeeze, causing me to look up at him. "We're here for you, Maggie," was all he said, sending me a reassuring smile. I looked around the room at the rest of the family to see that they had the same look in their eye. They truly cared. The only other people who had cared for me were my mother and sister, who were now both gone, so I appreciate this more than anyone could understand. I finally felt safe. Safe from the monster I now knew my father truly was. "By any chance, do you have a notebook and pen I could use? I need to right something down." There were a few confused looks around the room but Phoebe walked out the room and returned with a small, black notebook and pen, handing them over to me. "Thanks." With a small nod form Phoebe and a few more smiles, all of them started to file out of the room. I opened on a clean page and started to write.

Dear Diary

Today, I'm starting on a new page of my life. I'm not going to be the scared little girl I was anymore. If my father wants to come for me, I'm going to be ready. I'm going to keep fighting. He has no more power over me anymore because from now on, this is my life…

A/N:
Hey!!!
I'm so excited for Maggie right now. She's finally going to fight back :D
So, what do you guys think of her power. It's sort of like a sonic scream. Comment what you think! ; )
Love ya!!!