Chapter 10

Alec's POV:

I watched as Maggie walked down the street in the direction of her house, a small smirk playing on my lips. "So, what's the plan?" Richard asked when he stopped beside me. "Go after her. Make her fear for her life so she runs to find help. I'll take care of the rest," I instructed. "What about Amber?" He asked. "Don't worry about her. She won't show her face for a while. I made sure of that." He gave a small nod before walking after Maggie. I closed my eyes to concentrate, feeling the power pour out of the palms of my hands and spread out around me. "Sorry Maggie but nobody is gonna come to your rescue tonight," I mumbled under my breath as I felt every soul around me fall into the darkness of my power. I was in control.

Maggie's POV:

As I walked up the driveway of the house, I saw that Amber's car was no where in sight. I let out a sigh as I knew she would probably be out until morning since that was what I would have done to get away. I stepped onto my porch and twisted the nob to open the door, only to feel it was locked. I tried to push harder, thinking that it was maybe stuck but got no where as the door stayed shut. I pounded my fist against the door in frustration. I could have sworn I had left it unlocked because I didn't take the keys. I slid down the door to sit on the floor, feeling useless as I sat on her porch in the dead of night. "Shouldn't you be in bed? It's a school night," a familiar voice said, sending a shiver down my spine and causing my heart to pound against my chest. I looked up at the man that stood in front of me, my eyes holding so much fear as I recalled all the painful memories. "Aren't you gonna greet your father?" He asked mockingly with his arms extended. "N-No. It can't be," I stuttered out of fear. I slowly brought myself up to my feet, still leaning on the door for support, feeling as if my knees would buckle underneath me at any given moment. "Scared?" He asked, the corner of his mouth lifting up into a sinister smile. "You should be." Adrenaline pumped through my veins as I found the strength to push past him and run down the street. I heard him laugh behind me but I didn't look back. I continued to run, the sound of my feet hitting the pavement filling the eerie silence. The night held a sinister feel to it, that it hadn't had before. My heart pounded harder against my rib cage as I saw nobody else on the streets, leaving me alone with the very man who had tried to end my life and was probably going to finish the job. I continued to run, not daring to look behind me. My eyes were brimmed with tears as I continued to hope that someone would come to my aid. I looked to my side and saw him standing on the sidewalk. A sob escaped my mouth as I continued to run. "Somebody help me!" I yelled but there was nobody. I ran passed him again. This must be a nightmare. How could he move so fast. I saw him on the sidewalk again, my head turning to look at him while I ran on. Unfortunately, while my attention was elsewhere, I ran into something solid, causing me to fall onto the ground. "Is something wrong?" a voice asked as a figure came to stand above me. I looked up and saw the same silver eyes that I had left behind earlier. "Alec! You can't be here! He'll kill both of us!" I started to panic as I stood up but he wasn't phased by my words at all. I started to back away slowly, feeling like something wasn't right with the boy that stood in front of me. "No need to be scared, Maggie," he said while taking a step closer to me. His sliver eyes started to turn inky black until the was not a single speck of white left in his eyes. He opened his hands that he held on his sides, a black mist escaping from his palms. "After all," he began taking another step closer to me. "There's no reason to be afraid of the dark." The mist crept closer to me but it felt like my legs wouldn't obey what my head was telling them as I stood frozen in place. The mist crept up my body until my head was the only thing that could be seen. "Tell Max I said hello, won't you?" And with that, all my senses went numb.

Where am I? I felt under my body and felt something soft. In a bed. It felt familiar. My eyes shot open as my heart skipped a beat. All I saw was a familiar, white ceiling. When I sat up, my head pounded but it could easily be ignored, since all I could think about was how I got back to my room. I couldn't remember getting into bed. The last thing I remembered was...Alec. There was a black mist and...there was something else. Something that had frightened me to my core. Then it hit me. My father. No. It couldn't be. It was all just a nightmare. There was no other explanation for what I had saw and that could be the reason why I woke up in my bed and not on the street. Yes. It was just a nightmare and none of it was real. But then something came into my mind. Amber. I quickly jumped out of bed and ran downstairs, not minding the cold floor under my bare feet. "Amber?" I called out. "In the kitchen," came the familiar voice of my sister. I let out a relieved sigh as I walked into the kitchen, seeing Amber busy with some scrambled eggs. "Glad to see you're up," Amber chirped as she scraped the eggs into two plates. "Amber, I'm so sorry for yesterday. I didn't mean to-" I started to apologize only for Amber to interrupt. "Maggie, what are you talking about?" My eyebrows knitted together in confusion as I looked at Amber's confused features. "I snapped at you when you were trying to help me. You left," I explained, my mind racing with questions. "I never even came home yesterday. I was busy at work," she said to me, still looking confused. "B-But you found me on the floor. You were the one that woke me up." I couldn't understand, couldn't wrap my head around what Amber was telling me. I was sure that she woke me up. She was hurt when I snapped at her. She left and I took a walk outside and met Alec. Was I going crazy? "Maybe you were just dreaming," Amber stated, brushing off the subject and placing the plate on the counter in front of me. "Yeah, you're probably right," I mumbled and took a bite of the scrambled eggs. "What time is it?" I asked, looking up from my plate. Amber peered down at her wristwatch. "7:36," she read, causing me to choke on the peace of scrambled egg that was in my mouth. "What?! I'm going to be late for school!" I yelled, running up the stairs and leaving Amber and my breakfast. I got ready as quickly as I could, brushing my hair and teeth and quickly throwing on an outfit. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran downstairs. I called a quick goodbye into the kitchen and ran out the door and towards the school.

"Maggie!" I ignored Phoebe's voice, keeping my head down and my books close. I didn't want to be rude, especially after she's been nothing but nice to me, but with all the confusing things going through my head, the last thing I needed right now was company. "Maggie, wait!" Phoebe called but I still refused to turn around. 'That's it. Just keep walking away. You're probably doing her a favor.' I sucked my lower lip in between my teeth, biting down until I tasted the metallic taste of blood. "Why can't I just be left alone," I mumbled under my breath, letting out a heavy sigh as I rounded a corner, trying to lose Phoebe who was probably trying to catch up with me. I quickly stepped into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I walked up to the mirror that covered most of the wall opposite from the stalls. Looking at my reflection, I wasn't surprised to see my skin was as white as the walls around me. What's happening? I could've sworn that last night had really happened. I ran my fingers through my hair, taking in a deep breath. Maybe it was just one of those dreams that just felt very real. Yeah, that was probably it. After taking one last deep breath to calm myself, I stepped towards the door and peaked out to see if Phoebe was still there. When I saw that she was nowhere to be seen, I stepped out of the bathroom and walking down the hall, not having a specific destination in mind. I kept my head down, my mind still racing. If it was just a dream, then that means that there was no Alec- My thoughts were interrupted when I walked straight into something solid, sending me to the floor, causing my books to scatter. "Sorry, I should've watched where I was going," a deep voice apologised. Why did that voice sound so familiar? I slowly looked up at the person I had bumped into, looking straight into the same sliver eyes from my dream. My eyes widened as I stared up at the exact same boy from my dream. "Here, let me help you," he said and crouched down to help pick up my books. Snapping out of my shocked state, I also began to gather my books. When everything was picked up, we both stood up and he handed me the rest of my books. Maybe I had just seen him before and dreamed about him. As long as his name wasn't- "I'm Alec, by the way." My breath caught in my throat. All I could do was stare up at him, since he was a bit taller then me, with my mouth slightly ajar. He looked at me expectantly but my mind wouldn't conjure up anything I could say. "And you are..." he trailed off. "M-Maggie," I shocked out, still too shocked to do much more. "Well, Maggie. It was nice meeting you," he stated with a small smirk on his lips as if he knew something I didn't. With that he walked past me in the opposite direction of where I was going. I stood there dumbfounded for a few seconds when someone pushed past me, shoving me away while shouting, "Move freak!" I sapped out of it and started walking again. How could I have had a dream about him if I never even met him before. Maybe it wasn't just a dream...