Chapter 9

Maggie's POV:

"Maggie?" A voice called my name but it sounded distant. "Maggie?" the same voice called again and I could faintly feel someone shaking my shoulders. The voice sounded familiar but why couldn't I place it? "Maggie, wake up." Wake up? Was I sleeping? As hard as I tried, I couldn't will my eyes to open. "Maggie!" The voice finally pierced my thoughts and I shot up with a jolt. A worried Amber sat beside me, her eyes glossed over with tears. Before I could speak even a single word, she pulled me into a tight embrace and let out a sob. "I thought you were dead. Y-You weren't breathing," she cried. My eyes widened as my heart rate quickened. Was I really that close to death? 'Yes. But don't worry, your luck will run out soon.' Amber pulled me away from her and held on to my shoulders so she could look me in the eye. "What happened? When I came home I found you on the floor with a bloody nose and you weren't breathing." My hand instantly shot up to my nose only to feel dampness. When I pulled my hand away to look at it, my fingers were covered in a crimson liquid. "I'm fine. Just need a little rest," I reassured her as I pushed myself of the floor and stood up. I stumbled a bit to the right before gaining my balance. 'Wow, to top everything off, you're the biggest klutz on earth." A sorrow look washed over my face as I sat down on the edge of my bed. "Are you sure? I could take you to a doctor if you want," Amber said and took a seat next to me. 'As if a doctor will fix anything that's wrong with you.' I shook my head. "No thanks. I'm alright." 'Can you literally get any worse at lying?' Amber looked over my face, still looking unsure. "Maggie, you're really pale. Maybe I should-""I said I'm fine!" I snapped at her growing irritated but I instantly regretted it when I saw her hurt expression. Her face fell as she gave me a nod. "Okay, good night Maggie," Amber said as she stood up and left the room. 'Is this really the way you act towards your own sister, the one who has done so much for you? I think you did your mother a favor when you killed her. I think hell would be better than spending the rest of her life with you!' I wrapped my arms around my torso and let the tears fall. 'You're so weak.' The tears kept streaming down without end. Soon I heard a car door slam shut outside my window. When I looked outside, I saw that it was already dark. I looked down just in time to see my sister's car pull out the driveway and drive off into the night. 'At least she can escape from you. Other people aren't so lucky.' Before I knew what I was doing, I grabbed my jacket and shrugged it onto my shoulders. I hurried down the stairs and out the door, only closing it behind me, not bothering to lock it. I walked down the driveway and onto the sidewalk. I walked aimlessly into the night, a million thoughts running through my head but a specific one seemed to stick in my head as I tried to recall something. I had heard something just before I had blacked out but my mind went blank when I tried to remember it. I let out a groan of frustration. "This is never gonna work!" Someone cleared their throat behind me, making me spin around with my arms raised in defense, ready to protect myself against a possible threat. "Whoa, I'm not gonna hurt you," the teenage boy who stood before me said, his hands held up to show that he meant no harm. I lowered my arms but not my guard. "Isn't it a little late for a young lady like yourself to be out?" he asked with a raised brow, his silver eyes holding a glint of curiosity. I only shrugged and turned around to continue walking. "I take it you don't talk much, do you?" he asked and came to walk beside me. I didn't answer, only placing my hands inside the pockets of my jacket. "Fine, I guess we'll just walk in silence then," he said, showing no signs of leaving anytime soon. "I take it you're new around here?" I asked my own question. He let out a small chuckle as he ran his hand through his midnight brown hair. "How'd you know?" I shrugged. "Just a hunch. You know, you're not the first new family to move into town this week," I stated. "Oh, really? And who is the other wonderful family?" He asked, a hint of sarcasm laced in his voice. I rolled my eyes at him before saying, "The Thundermans. They moved here on Monday." He clenched his jaw for a split second before going back to normal. I wondered what it was about but I didn't ask, not wanting to pry. When I looked down at the ground, I noticed the time on his watch on his wrist. '11:48' "Crap," I mumbled under my breath. I looked up at the boy, him being about a head taller than me, and said, "Sorry, I better get home." Just as I started to walk away he said, "My name is Alec by the way." I turned my head to look at him and gave him a small smile. "Nice to know," I said and continued walking. I heard a small laugh from behind me before I was out of earshot.