Chapter 7

"Please turn to page 183," Mrs Phillips instructed. I took out my math book and did as I was told. I sat in the back as always, not drawing any attention to myself. She started the class, explaining what it said in the textbook but I didn't pay attention as I stared blankly at the pages. I couldn't focus, couldn't think or react. "I'm confused," Max's voice brought me out of my trance. I looked over at him who had his hand up, then just looked down again, not really interested in what he had to say. The teacher looked at him then nodded. "Come to me after class and I'll explain it to you again," Mrs Phillips instructed. "Oh, I don't want to waste your time," Max said sweetly. "Maybe you could just assign me a tutor," he suggested. She nodded then looked over the class. "Any volunteers?" she asked but nobody reacted. "How 'bout Maggie?" Max gave her another suggestion. My head snapped up at the mention of my name. "Who?" Mrs Phillips asked confused but then realized that he was talking about me. "Oh, of course. Maggie, would you mind helping Max?" All eyes turned to me. I gulped before shaking my head. "Wonderful!" she exclaimed. "Max, looks like you have a tutor," she stated then turned back to the board to continue with the lesson. While she wasn't looking, Max turned around to look at me and smirked, earning a glare from me. After that, the class went on as it normal would. I took a few notes now and then but other than that, I hadn't paid much attention. Occasionally, I would look out the window, expecting my father to be standing outside but would always just see an empty lot. After a while, the bell rang, signaling the end of the class and the school day. It was luckily the last period, so I didn't have any other classes that I would have time to think about my father. I gathered my things then walked out of the class. As I walked to my locker, I felt a presence walk beside me. When I looked to my side I saw Max smiling down at me, him being taller. "You just don't know when to quit," I said annoyed. "So, I think we should go to my house for a study session," Max said, ignoring my comment. I didn't answer. We finally reached my locker. "I take your silence as a yes," he said. I let out a groan as I opened my locker. "Why do you want to help me? You don't even know me?!" I snapped at him. "Can I get a chance to get to know you then? I mean, you are my tutor after all," he stated with a sly smile on his face. I grabbed my stuff out of the locker then slammed it shut. "Fine! Let's just go to your house and get this over with!" I exclaimed as I began to storm towards the exit. He soon joined my side and we walked in silence towards his house. While we walked he would look at me every now and again, as if he was observing me, then he would look away. I, of course, just ignored it because I was use to it. "So Maggie, what's your favorite color?" Max asked me out of nowhere. I looked at him then asked, "Why do you wanna know?" He shrugged. "Just trying to get to know you," he stated, using my earlier comment against me. "You're persistent, I'll give you that," I commented. "I try," he joked in an attempt to make me laugh or at least smile but I just looked down at the concrete sidewalk. His smile faded and he decided it was best to not speak so we continued to walk in silence.

After another few minutes of walking, we walked up the driveway of a beautiful house. I looked up at the house in awe, my house looking like something a hobo put together in comparison. 'Close your mouth. You're drooling' the voice in my head spat. Being so distracted by my father, I had almost forgotten about it but I guess my luck's run out. "You coming?" Max asked as he held the door open for me. After a moment of hesitation, I stepped into the house. The inside was just as beautiful. "Max, is that you?" a unfamiliar female voice called from the kitchen that was across the living room. "Yeah mom!" Max called to the voice. A woman with long brown hair stepped into the living room. "Oh...Max, who's this?" she asked Max, looking a bit taken back by my presence. "My new tutor," he said casually and threw his bag on the nearby couch. "Okay...very nice to meet you," she said to me then to Max, "Can I speak to you in the kitchen?" Max gave a questioning look to his mother. "Why?" he asked. "Now," she ordered. "Fine," he said and held his hands up in surrender. "You can sit if you'd like. I'll be right back," Max said to me and went into the kitchen. I looked around the living room and decided to sit on the couch. I put my bag next to me on the couch and took out some of my books, reading through some of the stuff we did in class today. Why did Max have to make me his tutor?