Pastry Thief

Isabel had decided to keep what she saw the previous night to herself. It had been the first time she'd seen a captain sneak out. Cadets, sure. The girls in her barracks would often sneak out late at night to visit other barracks, or sometimes to go out into town.

But Captain Tatum? She didn't seem like the type to go sneaking out.

Which was why Isabel had decided to follow suit, making sure to be as discreet as possible. And that was when she found out the secret routine Tatum's been hiding for years.

Morning never came sooner for the redhead as she immediately burst into the barracks where her two male companions stayed, excited and beyond giddy. Already dressed, she jumps on Levi as soon as she spots him, already dressed in his uniform.

"What the hell-?" he snapped, frowning and groaning when he felt a weight attach themselves to his back, only relaxing when he realized that it was only Isabel.

"Big brother!" she exclaimed happily.

"Since when do you ever wake up this early?" asked Levi as he walked casually towards the end of the room, where Farlan sat on his bunk above Levi's, dressed as well.

"I've got some dirt on Captain Tatum," she spat out as soon as Levi let her down and there were fewer people in the room. "She snuck out last night."

That seemed to get the attention of the other two as they both perked up at the bit of information.

"What?" asked Farlan, obviously shocked. "Where? Are you sure it was Captain Tatum?"

"Positive!" she nodded frantically. "She was headed into town. I followed her all the way to this part of the town right outside Wall Sina. But I lost her after that."

"And that's it?" asked Farlan. "What do you mean you lost her?"

"It means exactly how it sounds," Isabel said, shrugging. "I looked everywhere. Then I decided to give up and walked back to headquarters."

"What the hell? Why did you fucking walk?" asked Levi, tsking.

"I didn't want her to know I was following," Isabel explained. "I figured I'd be more silent on foot. That, and I didn't really have time to get my horse. But Tatum was so cool! She only made a few clicking noises as her horse just appears our of nowhere!"

Plopping a hand on top of her head, Levi only sighs as he rubs at her head affectionately.

"You know what. How about we go get some breakfast first," sighed Farlan as he ran a hand through his hair. "Isabel should probably explain a little better by then."

"Yay! Let's go!" she cheered as she led the other two out of the room, the topic of the mysterious captain momentarily forgotten for the redhead.

But Farlan glanced at Levi, cocking an eyebrow.

"Do you really think-?"

Levi only stares straight ahead.

"None of our fucking business."

But he was indeed interested.

. . .

"How the hell do you lose someone on a horse?" asked Farlan as he shoved a mouthful of a baked potato into his mouth.

"That's the thing! I don't know!" Isabel exclaimed as she ate as well, shoveling food into her mouth as she explained again. "One minute I see her a couple of yards ahead of me, and the next-POOF! Gone! She wasn't even around the corner when I got there!"