Chapter #20

Shawn's POV

The morning of my parents' funeral has arrived and I don't think I've ever felt so guilty. It's been about four, five years since I've spoken to them. Maybe I caused them grief and they started drinking to relieve their pain. Man, just thinking about it gives me a headache. I tug my tie a little tighter and open my medicine cabinet. I grab an Excedrin and fill a small glass cup with water and take it. I love this stuff; it relieves my headaches within thirty minutes. I grab my phone and keys and head out the door to my truck. As I drive, I think about Camila and I's relationship. Are we even back together? I mean she kissed me in her driveway the other day, but I'm not sure if that means anything.

Cassidy's POV

I am going to Shawn's parents' funeral today and I really want to start over on a clean slate with him. I just want things to go back to the way they were when we were kids. I feel like I was the one who's sabotaged him and Camila was the innocent one in this situation. I straighten the last wavy hair strand and spritz some perfume. I wonder what Shawn will think because he's never seen my hair straightened before. Plus I think this black dress will catch his eye as well. I'm not trying to force him to like me or anything; I just want to present myself well. I deleted that article about Shawn and Camila. To be honest, I quit being a journalist. Everything that Shawn said to me was pretty true and heartbreaking. I can't live my life digging for stories no matter if they're fake or not. I've decided to take Shawn's advice and write books and screenplays. I grab my bag and head out to my Porsche.

Camila's POV

As my family and I make our way to the funeral, I rewind the kiss I gave him over and over in my head. I probably shouldn't have done that because he may not want to date me again. It was too sudden and we just got out of a nasty predicament. Things just need to die down and may take years to dilute.

"Hey, Camila. I just wanted to say that one short apology from us probably didn't cut it. I know you still may hold grudges and I can't blame you." Dad says breaking the silence

"Yes, sweetheart. I know it might take some time for us to regain your trust, but we promise we're going to make it up to you." Mom says with a twinkle in her eyes

"And how are you guys gonna do that?" I say with slight concern

"We basically have to do whatever you want from now on." Cameron says sounding a little annoyed

"Yes, we want to give you whatever you desire. We can buy you your own house!" Mom says trying to lighten the mood

"Guys. Guys. You don't need to do anything for me. You can't just buy me things and say you're sorry after years of abuse. That kind of stuff lives on in people's lives no matter how many apologies you give. I'm sorry, but it's only the truth. I forgive you, but not a hundred percent."

There was a dead silence between us. To be honest, I thought they were about to yell at me for not accepting their offers

"I completely understand, Cami. That makes a lot of sense. I'm glad that you can stick up for yourself and not be afraid to tell people what's on your mind. It's healthier to do than hurt yourself. When you hurt yourself, it impacts your life. Unless you're willing to change your mindset. We have to change ours and it will take a while; but at least it will change." Mom says before we pull up to the church.

The church looks packed already and we make our way inside. Everyone's dressed in black clothing and the choir is singing an upbeat song. I can already see that both of them are in one big casket. As we sit down, the relatives make their way to view the dead bodies. This all seems way too depressing and I can see the faint tears in Shawn's eyes. I wipe a tear from my cheek and wave to him before he sits. The funeral goes on...