Chapter #14

Shawn's POV

You have no idea how much I've been avoiding Charlie. I asked my boss to work overtime and he has never been more happy. He's been short on employees for two months and I don't mind the extra work. I needed to get my mind off of girls for now, just because I haven't really found the one yet. Lately, getting work done has been my top priority. My salary has raised ten dollars because of the extra effort. The weight off my shoulders makes me feel at ease and focused. My relationship with Charlie has been really complicated and I haven't spoken to her in a week. I caught her cheating on me with another guy in the parking lot and she was clearly kissing him. That literally triggered me and broke my heart. My crush from grade school brushing me off and abandoning me. She told me she was hanging with her friends at some concert, then all of a sudden she brought that?! No, ma'am I can't deal with that. I marched my way down to where Charlie and f** boy was and demanded an explanation. Guess what she said?

"Hey babe, this is my friend Mark and he came to drop me off." She kisses my cheek

"Why the hell were you kissing him? Don't you dare lie to me because I saw it with my own two eyes. Explain!" I say with mad anger in my voice

"Well you must get your eyes checked because I would never do that to you, Shawnie."

"Yeah she would never do that to you, man."

"You must've been seeing things."

"Why did HE have to bring you to my apartment? You said you were riding with your girl friends."

"Oh I just happened to run into my best friend and they were totally okay with it. I went to dinner with him as well, so."

"Are you kidding me right now? Are you listening to yourself? You never told me you ran into this dude and went to dinner with him? Why are we even in a relationship?"

"You're paranoid." Charlie says

"What the ff---?? So I can't be with other girls, but you can mess with your guy friends, right? RIGHT??"

"I'm gonna go." Mark turns on his heels quickly and jump into his car.

We both watch him leave

"Listen to me, Shawn Mendes. I can do whatever I want because I know I won't do anything crazy. I can look out for myself. Now I don't trust anybody enough to not mess with you. I will be sure to let everyone know you're mine and mine only. You have no right to control me, but you do what I say."

"You can't do that! You're not the man in this relationship. You can't tell the guy what to do when he clearly has authority over the girl."

"Not with us you won't. It's time to flip the script, Shawnie. You can't escape my grip no matter if you like it or not. Don't you dare accuse me of kissing another guy when I know I have a boyfriend. All you will do is work and give me what I want, understand?"

"I work because I'm making a living for myself. You don't live with me. You don't know crap about me. We never even had a real conversation."

"That's because I don't really care what you've been through. Stop living in the past, Shawn!"

"I'm not living in the past! What makes you say that?"

"I know about you and your parents."

"What?! How do you know about me and my parents??"

"You didn't hear? Their neighbor, Cassidy Thorne knew everything about you guys."

"I haven't talked to her in years, how the hell do you know Cassidy?"

"She writes. She writes books, screenplays, newspaper articles, etc. She remembers how you left your parents and how they treated you. Your parents died three days ago."

Time has stopped for I don't know how long. My brain has frozen in time as well. Except for the old memories that lingers in my mind for a few seconds. I cannot believe this right now. I don't even know what to think. My own parents died? I left them four years ago when I was just sixteen. Now I'm 20 almost 21, had to teach myself the ways of the world.

"How did they die?"

"I think you need to contact your old friend Cassidy. She'll explain a lot better than I can. I'm so sorry, Shawn."

She walks to her car that she left parked in the parking lot. I just stood there for about ten minutes. To think that my parents might have gotten a little better ever since I left. I guess that might have been a struggle for them. After standing in that very same spot for eternity, I walk inside my apartment and open my laptop to facebook. I find my old friend, Cassidy and message her. I wait for her response for about an hour until she writes back."

"Hello, Cassidy. You may or may not remember me. This is Shawn Mendes and I was wondering if we could get together and talk sometime. Thanks. I miss you by the way."

"Hey, Shawn! I miss you as well. I am totally free next week at 5pm. Meet me at this address and I would love to catch up with you. :)"

That sort of brought relief to my shaking bones. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I just throw myself in bed.

A/N: Whaaat?? Were you totally expecting that?? I wasn't either to be honest!