Chapter #18

I wake up and make myself a wild berry smoothie as I prepare for work. I carefully iron the wrinkles off of the light blue, button down shirt. Then I switch to my black slacks. I brush my hair and massage some hair spray into it. I hear a notification from my Aunt on my phone. I open the message and it reads: 'There will be a funeral for your parents this Saturday at Dobby church house at 9:00am. Hope you're okay and can't wait to see you again.' I haven't talked to my aunt in years. I forgot I even had her number. To be honest, I don't talk to any of my relatives at all. Is that bad? I guess I was just too focused on myself and trying to piece my life back together. I drive to the post office and start on the boxes. My boss comes in and asks me to stop for a moment. Oh god, I know where this is going.

"I heard about you in some online article. Is it true?" He asks with concern and his tone low

"It is true about my parents. You see, ever since I moved out at sixteen, my neighbor has been watching them and writing down whatever they've been doing. She said they drank a lot, had parties and did drugs. Then they died."

"And what about that Camila girl? Did she really do that to you?"

"Now, I haven't come to a conclusion yet. I haven't even spoken to her yet, but Cassidy decided to throw out assumptions and now it's all over the news."

"Who's Cassidy?" He asks.

"Oh, the neighbor. She's the one who writes the articles." It did not feel good saying that. So many people are degrading me, I just wanna run away and lie in a ditch until I die.

"This would be a hard time for anyone."

"I apologize for being sarcastic, sir, but who wouldn't have a hard time right now?"

"I mean some people would love this attention. No matter if it's good or bad. Celebrities can get paid for something that's true or untrue. They're too focused on themselves. Some of them are just so humiliated by the media, they do care about their lives and what people think of them. Not everyone's the same. I've heard that marrying Tom Cruise can get you money after five years; no matter if you like him or not. Playing around with marriage and bargaining is utter crap to me."

"So you're saying that Camila played me on purpose for more fame and money?"

"I'm not necessarily saying that. I'm just giving an example. You need to speak with her if you have the chance. Don't just go around telling other people what happened and what might have been the case. You need to ask the main person; Camila. Imma give you the week off, okay? I'll send you a gift in the mail to help you feel better." My boss hugs me.

"Thank you, sir." I smile feeling a little uplifted.

"You've been calling me 'sir' for the longest time, son. Just call me Tim." He winks and heads to the back.

I make my way back to my apartment relived knowing that I don't have to work this week. I guess some hardships can have its advantages sometimes. You just gotta cherish them. After watching a few episodes of 'Drake and Josh' on television, I jumped at the sound of banging at the front door. Who would bang on someone's door like that?? I could've been sleeping for goodness sakes! The banging continues to go on as I take quick steps towards the door. I open it without properly looking at the person.

"Excuse me, while you're banging on my damn door..." I attempt to speak as she pushes me against the wide opened door and barges in my apartment.

"Charlie, what the???"

"Where is she?! Where is she?!" Charlie almost yells sounding angry and with a red face.

"Where's who?! Why are you pounding your bony fists on my door?? Are you paying for this apartment?"