How Could You... (Timids)

Well, this was certainly dramatic. I had a lot of fun writing this (probably more than I should have) Quick little disclaimer, I included a pretty heavy theme which is widely discussed and debated. Just as a warning, some of the views presented here aren't mine. One character in particular goes over the top in a sense which always helps make a scene like this dramatic and it may appear offensive but my intention is not at all to offend, I just understand that this is a "normal" reaction when thrown into such an abnormal position, in a sense. Thanks a lot to KayceeBrough for the suggestion (I hope what I've written counts). I really enjoyed writing this so I'm so grateful for being given this one. This one's for you. :')

Drew's eyes glow in enthusiasm when I enter his room. "Hey Drew." I smile back at him, putting down a bag of gifts for him on the surface next to his bed and planting a gentle kiss on the top of his head. "How are you feeling?" I ask him softly.

"Good now that you're here." He smiles, his eyes watering a little.

A few months ago, we found out that Drew's mind is a ticking bomb. The doctors still haven't figured out exactly what's wrong yet. They said that people with his condition could either suffer through dementia in their thirties or that they could suddenly become the worst kind of schizophrenic. To be honest, everything they've said is contradictory at best and they've been avoiding telling me directly before telling his parents, no matter how many times even they insist that I'm closer to his family than they are.

I should've just married him like the others encouraged. I just wanted us to be together just for each other. I don't know if this is right but I figure if we did get married then it would be more about the cause than our love for each other. I was told that Civil Partnerships were the alternative... for those too timid to...

Stop doing this to yourself, Shane. Drew needs you right now. It's his mental state on the brink.

"Did they tell you anything?" He asks with a shaky voice, his eyes struggling to meet mine.

"You know they barely tell me anything." I reassuringly whisper to him.

He nods, biting his lip. "Shane, they told me that I've got it bad, and I'm not talking about boiling the family rabbit bad. I'm gonna get dementia within the next few months, hell it's already started. By Christmas I'll have to be kept under permanent observation to make sure I don't do any damage to myself or, worse, do any damage to you." He slowly explains, his voice weak in his attempts to avoid crying. "I may even go blind, they're still not sure on that yet." His voice croaks a little.

I instantly take his hand in both of mine and kiss it. "Drew, that won't change what's between us. You know when you agreed to move in with me that this would be forever." I recall, trying to stay strong for my best friend and one true love.

"Shane, I don't want to do that to you! It's not fair if I make you physically have to look after me! They'll be no love in that! I might even forget who you are and I don't want to hurt you like that!" He admits with a pained squeak in his voice. "I don't wanna have you see me as a dead weight, because I've thought it over and that's all my mind will allow me to be in the future." He weakly adds.

"You mean more to me than that. Drew, you can never be a nuisance to me! I've seen you at your very worst and that doesn't scare me. I know that if you have faith in yourself or even the doctors, we can find a way to manage." I plead.

In that moment he looks dreadful. His usually charming pale skin looks hollowed and sickly. His hair, under the lighting of his hospital room looks flat and almost dead. He blinks for a long time, making the image of him like this all the more haunting by reminding me how he'll most likely end up in maybe ten years. I force myself to think of something else, turning my attention to my left to start going through my bag of gifts for him.