Art talk at the Comicon (Shane)

This request is from EdgarJamesDionisio Hope you like it buddy and thanks for being my first requester. :') Please feel free to keep sending them in.

Leaving the house is slightly nerve wracking. Of course, it's the weekend of comicon and for some reason I thought I'd have the confidence to dress up for the event. I felt stupid. Originally the plan was that I have a lift from my friend but they've just broken their leg the day before so they can't make it.

Why am I not cancelling the whole thing? I'm strongly considering it, mind you but I know that I can't. My favourite artist is gonna be there for the first time and I really wanted to take the opportunity to see him. Knowing me, though, I'll probably double back the second I see his smile.

No, I have to go, he's premiering his new series there.

I look across the room to see a painting I did of my favourite front cover he did, remembering that I did it in the hopes that my friend could talk me into giving it to him.

It's really bad, though.

I'm just about to leave without it when I get a text on my phone, laughing when I see that it's a photo of my friend in her leg cast, along with the text reading "If I find you've missed the opportunity to show Shane your painting, this will be you!"

I reluctantly take the canvas and stuff it in my bag and make my way to the bus stop, forcing myself to avoid eye contact with everyone I pass.

The bus is eerily empty but I take a seat far away from the doors and keep my eyes fixated on the tickets in my hand.

Gradually as I get closer to the comicon, I notice others dressed up as characters getting on the bus. To pass the time for the rest of the journey, I start playing the game "guess the character", finding it amusing that some of them are trying to stay in character. One guy in particular is dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow and he's acting like he's alarmed by things which weren't in the character's times. I only let myself giggle at his actions when the rest of the bus do to avoid being singled out but carefully start getting closer to the group so that I don't get anything mean from the other travelers.

I'm noticed but they seem to understand my reasoning and pretend that I was part of their original group.

When the bus pulls up to the right stop, they all enthusiastically cheer as they start running towards the building. Although, because of some of their costumes being pretty heavy, they have to slow down pretty soon. I decide to avoid getting exhausted and sweaty before the day has properly even started to walk alongside a Ghostbuster.

After getting through the queue, I can't help but be intimidated by the scale of the interior. My eyes strain a little to see the end of the room but I pull out a map to find "Comic Village" so I can see if I can get my hands on a copy of Shane Sumner's new comic.

To my disappointment, Shane isn't there but the writer of the story in the comics is. He smiles enthusiastically when he recognises me.

"Hey, we've met before at some shows. You're Dougie right?" Laurence grins, getting up from behind the table and hugging me in greeting.

I laugh nervously at the nickname while I return the brotherly hug. He pulls away with a smile. "How are you Dougie?"

"I'm good, thanks Laurence." I awkwardly reply to the taller man.

"What's that you've got in there?" He asks when he notices my bag.

"Meh, some fan art, my friend insisted that I show you and Shane but I don't know." I sigh.